Pics
Awesome!

Genesis 1:29-30

29 And God said, “Behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed which is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree in which is the fruit of a tree yielding seed; to you it shall be for meat.

30 And to every beast of the earth, and to every fowl of the air, and to every thing that creepeth upon the earth wherein there is life, I have given every green herb for meat”; and it was so.

God Bless! :)
Beautiful scripture, Hen Pen Jem!!

Thank you!!!!!

I've been trying to read as much as possible of this heartwarming and yes, informative thread.

The care you have given Henry is just a testament to what good supportive care and how an animal's body can repair itself if given time and TLC.

I remember an elderly doctor told me once (he was still practicing in his 80s) that what he had learned in his years of being a doctor is that 75% of the people he took care of, if they gave their body enough time would heal itself. The other 25% he couldn't do anything for anyway. pretty amazing.

I too would like to learn more about the use of Manuka honey in wound management. Wound care was a special interest of mine before retirement.

I was also impressed with your use of Epsom salt soaks. I discovered those while recuperating from Lyme disease. When the Herxheimer Effect kicked in from bacteria die off the only thing that would relieve the discomfort I experienced was long soaks in hot water with about a half a box of Epsom salts dumped into it. It is a widely acknowledged fact among Lyme survivors that it detoxes impurities from the body.

I am wondering if lemon water would have the same effect for Henry as it is also respected as a detox agent for humans.

I am rooting for this brave boy. He couldn't have done this without your help. Keep up the good work.

@biophiliac Thank you for suggesting an article on healing wounds with honey. I'll give that some thought. I know nothing about pitching articles for BYC, but I know I would enjoy writing one.

@microchick Well, thank you so much for your kind words!

I've wrestled a lot with trust throughout Henry's healing process and am still feeling cautious when I say he's on the mend, even though clearly he is. I welcome the reminder I keep getting that healing takes time. I never felt rushed with Henry, but honey does tend to result in an impressive rate of healing, which gave me hope just one day after the coyote attack. I could already see a hint of healing around the edges of his wounds and couldn't wait to show my husband when he got home from work. But the wounds were rather grotesque in the early days; he couldn't stomach being near him just yet.

I learned about epsom salt in the forums. Someone healed her chicken entirely from salt baths. And then I came across more testimony on the wonders of epsom salts and asked some questions here and decided to add it to Henry's treatment roundup.

The effects were obvious within hours of each soak. Wounds tightened up and scabbing increased and then eventually loosened, and growing tissue and skin underneath was flushed and revived.

I'm not fond of being completely dependent on one method of healing, though, and would welcome learning about other options that accomplish the same thing. What if the power grid shuts down, the economy collapses, etc.? It's all possible, and with that in mind I hope to come up with some natural healing options that don't require a dependency on purchased goods.

Epsom salt accomplishes so much I'm wondering if there's significant savings if purchased in bulk and how long it stores for.

Anyway, thank you for reading about Henry's recovery process!

Last edited:
i continue to be amazed and inspired by just how far Henry has come under your care and through his own strength and determination. he has come such a long way from deaths door in a relatively short period of time. I think what we are seeing is sensory and motor nerve repair gradually working it's way down his leg. I suspect he can not feel anything in his foot yet. once he can, he will probably start placing more weight on it. His joints all look relatively functional. I don't have a crystal ball, but I'd say he has a fair chance of regaining the use of that leg and carrying on a reasonably enjoyable life. I'd love to see more videos. his wound healing and feather growth is really coming along, I think he has officially entered the rehab phase. great work!

I'm wondering if at this stage and time, if range of motion exercises would benefit his injured leg? Just three times a day, gently work each joint through it's normal range of movement, feel for resistance from him when you do flexing and extension of the hip. knee and ankle joints. Nerves take so very long to heal and sometimes they don't. Then the body has to try to reroute impulses for better function. Working the muscles for him also helps with muscle tone and strength.

I agree with @Birdinhand in that I suspect also that he cannot feel his foot at this point in time. Which makes me wonder how much of what is going on is still from the healing process and the nerves once again starting to relearn how to function.

I know it's an extra thing for you to do for Henry everyday but range of motion and massage is all part of the rehab stage.

I'm wondering if at this stage and time, if range of motion exercises would benefit his injured leg? Just three times a day, gently work each joint through it's normal range of movement, feel for resistance from him when you do flexing and extension of the hip. knee and ankle joints. Nerves take so very long to heal and sometimes they don't. Then the body has to try to reroute impulses for better function. Working the muscles for him also helps with muscle tone and strength.

I agree with @Birdinhand in that I suspect also that he cannot feel his foot at this point in time. Which makes me wonder how much of what is going on is still from the healing process and the nerves once again starting to relearn how to function.

I know it's an extra thing for you to do for Henry everyday but range of motion and massage is all part of the rehab stage.

I agree, it is probably time to start making this priority number one. his wounds are likely past the point of needing as much attention, it's now keeping the joints and muscles from stiffening. I would even start using treats as a lure to get him to move, putting them just out of reach, making a "trail of crumbs". within reason, spurring him to use his leg will help the recovery.

I agree 100% regarding the relearning and nerve healing. It really comes through in the video that he doesn't really have much if any proprioceptive response in his foot at this point. He is moving that leg much better than what you reported early on, so being hopeful is warranted! Go Henry!
props for using "proprioceptive", one of my favorite words! for those wondering, proprioception is the ability of an organism to sense it's position and movement of the body. Henry currently appears to have no sense of where his foot is in space and therefore cant put weight on it. I suspect that will change over the coming weeks. his recovery, considering he had a sucking chest wound, meaning a puncture all the way into the lung, is nothing short of miraculous. people have died from less.

Back
Top Bottom