Pics
On a somber note.

Henry's leg has worsened. One area has lessened in redness, while another has increased, and there's now a small amount of blood.

I'm feeling he needs me to surrender more to his healing process and to consider how far he has come, but also how far he has to go.

And for a creature with an infected lame leg and only wings for hands and arms — and mending but deep and serious wounds elsewhere — the dominion we've been given over animals may very well be Henry's hope and peace.

My dear sweet Henry has until Sunday evening to show me he needs more time.

It's late, but I'm going to end my day with my favorite book. G'night.

ha, ha, wow, that's so neat. now my whole family knows the story and the connection to the book! as for Henry himself, if you see gas gangrene, then I'd put him down, that is a ruthless infection that spreads like wild fire and is essentially impossible to treat without amputation. if you have to end his life, we will all understand. that said, I grew up on a farm and it was just far enough away that we basically were taught by vets to provide a level of care that was unusual. it's possible that inflamation can cause nerve impingement, and it doesn't take much to cause paralysis, the type that can completely resolve. they say the weight of a nickel directly on a nerve can reduce conductivity by 50%, so imagine what internal swelling can do! if it were me, and I'd invested this much and gone this far, I'd probably stick with it as long as I didn't see signs of systemic infection, like strong fever and spreading discoloration and tissue breakdown. if he did break or fracture his leg, it can take many weeks for it to heal, the fact that he's not moving it is probably a blessing in that case. good luck with this decision.

When I soak a chicken, I make sure the water is at the level of the chickens's vent. No rinse is needed, just a quick dry off with a towel, air dry if it's warm outside or I use the blow dryer on low. I use one half to one cup of Epsom Salt in a dish tub. Not sure how many gallons of water it takes to fill that tub.

Just saw your last post about Henry's leg. So sorry to hear about that new development. Trust in yourself, you are there we are not.

As Wyorp Rock said, we all support you here...God Bless you and Henry!

Just saw your last post about Henry's leg. So sorry to hear about that new development. Trust in yourself, you are there we are not.

As Wyorp Rock said, we all support you here...God Bless you and Henry!
Thank you, Hen Pen Jem.

No decrease in vitality or eating habits, just that one disappointing development with his lame leg. The wounds are healing incredibly well — deep, grotesque wounds and a body cavity puncture.

But darn that leg.

The comfrey is a wonder for his elbow that's been sitting still with so much weight on it, and redness elsewhere on the leg. It's a gem in any herbal healer's medicine kit.

Tumeric is catching my eye today, and epsom salt. They are ringing bells for me, so I'm about to float a rooster, carefully and possibly with the aid of a sling. Totally supervised in case he tips.

The undercarriage wounds are superficial and healing wonderfully well. They now look like mild scrapes. Epsom salt should be a boon for them, and his leg.

So the boy will float and be dipped up to his exit hatch, and if all goes well he'll get a proper bath to help with all of those honey matted feathers.

And just like that I was almost squished by a HUGE pine cone as I typed that last paragraph. My little forays with my laptop as I follow the flock around are hazardous. I'm going to need body armor and a people sized vat of honey to keep the human, pawed and feathered flocks safe and on the mend around here.

Sunshine Flock Headmaster signing off.

Sounds good...a float in Epsom Salt may be just the thing. You will know he is not doing well when he stops eating and drinking. Since that hasn't happened, just keep moving forward with treatments. It is good for him to move gently. Also, gentle massage to keep his tissue toned.

If that lame leg is straight and has been from the start, he may have had a hairline fracture or even a deep impact injury. You mentioned some blood or brown liquid coming from a wound or the lame leg? You will have to be vigilant for infection, abcess or the worst case scenario...gas gangrene. Keep up the goldenseal and echinacea, as they are the only natural antibiotic and immune system boosters he is on. Goldenseal has been proven to be effective against Clostridium Perfringens, which is a common bacteria infecting wounds and the intestines of poultry.

You are a true Florence Nightingale! God's Blessings and guidance are yours. :hugs

How to bathe a rooster, the condensed version.

Condensed instructions, that is. Although I have to say, Henry is a condensed version of his former rooster self with half of those darned feathers snipped off.

Okay, so get a tub, preferably not the one your husband uses for his vintage snapback hat collection. But if it's the perfect size to float a rooster with enough room for his head to stick out so he can watch his hens watching him, it'll do.

That's what I used.

Boil a stew pot 3/4 full of water and add three cups of epsom salt. I always tend to overdo things, so I wouldn't be surprised if you were to tell me I only needed a teaspoon.

I boiled the water for five minutes to purify it, but I'm not sure that was necessary. It's one of those "It can't hurt, so why not" things, and maybe it even helps.

But you kind of undo the water purification when you cut it with cold water direct from the tap.

Anyhoo, moving on.

Place the tub on a towel in the rooster recovery room and nudge it up close to the sliding glass door. A spare towel is a really good idea because unexpected things can happen when you're floating a rooster in a tub.

Also keep a washcloth handy. Don't expect your injured rooster to start swimming around in there and cleaning all those honey soaked feathers by himself.

And now it's time to float a rooster.

I knew from the summer dunkings I did for the chickens in response to our extreme heat that chickens float. They have feathers, and anything with feathers supposedly floats, but do they float head upright, or do they tip and float head upside down. One's good, one is not.

Hen Pen Jem bathes her birds with the water level up to the vent. The vent is the exit hatch for those who, like me, are new to chickening and are still learning the various pieces and parts of chicken anatomy. So that's how full I filled the tub.

Then I gently lifted Henry up with his wings held to his sides so he couldn't wiggle, and I set him down in the tub, unsure of how this was going to go.

It went marvelously well, except for that one sudden splash that threw a bunch of chicken saturated water into my mouth.

Henry's legs were the focus of the epsom salt bath. Really it was intended as a soak, not an actual bath. But as he half floated, half stood there, working his muscles to maintain his floaty balance, which was an unexpected bonus, it occurred to me that people really do bathe their chickens, and Henry was a sticky mess.

So I grabbed the washcloth and carefully sloshed water through his feathers. The undercarriage wounds were healing nicely, and I felt they'd benefit from the epsom salt, but when water splashed on some of his more serious wounds, I figured why not.

Note: If your fella has a deep puncture wound, cover it with a folded square of plastic wrap and secure it in place with honey. But keep in mind that honey is water soluble, and also remember that the plastic wrap isn't zip locked to his skin; water can seep underneath if you're not careful.

The more I soaked his feathers and flooded his lower region with water, the more I saw chicken debris float off his tattered body and into the tub. In just a quick minute the water was honey colored and full of food crumbs, soft tufts of snipped feathers, and other unidentifiables.

And, yes, I really did get a thorough splashing in the mouth of Henry soaked water. It was a delightful experience. I no longer sleep in a bed at night; I roost.

There isn't much more to it than that. The non-condensed version would involve more words, but why read the full version of Pride and Prejudice when you can read the Cliff Notes and be done with it!

Something I didn't expect, consider, think about, or otherwise ponder, was the increased buoyancy because of the salt. It seemed to really make a difference and help Henry engage his muscles without comprising his safety. Aside from one quick splash with his wings, he was totally blissed out in that tub and relaxed.

When Henry's hens came up to the glass door and saw his head sticking out of the tub, they pecked on the door and chirped and squawked for a bit, and then they found the bowl of crushed eggshells I'd left for them on the deck and flew-walk to it in a frenzy and forgot about the floating rooster.

The effects of the bath were pretty apparent to me. Henry was more relaxed than I've seen him since the coyote attack ten or so days ago. He was sparkly clean, and his wounds were flushed out and looking better than ever. I ended up saturating every last bit of him with the epsom salt water, except for the worst wound up top. He has two other wounds that are quite large and deep, but the honey has done wonders healing them, and they responded wonderfully well to the bath.

Today I made a fresh batch of salt water, but this time I put Henry in his sling and soaked both legs in a bowl. It was just deep enough to thoroughly cover the open sores on his lame leg. For the good leg I'm still using a comfrey poultice, which has significantly lessened the redness along the side of that leg and on his elbow.

The other day I was heartsick when I found those gangrene-looking wounds on Henry's lame leg. It seemed sudden, like one day there was redness and heat and mounded sores, and the next the sores had opened and changed to a greenish gray color.

I've done a fair amount of reading on gangrene in chickens, and as some of you have mentioned, it's possible he may have it in that leg. But I'm not seeing any changes for the worse, not yet anyway, and he's feistier today and showing me more of his roostery self.

So once again the danged rooster lives.

But I'm feeling quite attuned to the reality of how internal infections can advance. There's peace in confronting that and ...

Holy honeyed feathers, folks, I now bring to you a wonderful and sudden and unexpected interruption, like from the deck just outside Henry's recovery room!!

He hasn't crowed since the coyote attack, and no mad clucking. When one of his hens lays an egg or is unhappy about something and mad clucks, Henry does sympathy mad clucking. Well, guess what?

A hen just laid an egg and then mad clucked her way over to the deck, and from the depths of the recovery room I heard a sympathy mad cluck in show of support for her.

Henry mad clucked!

Wow, no chicken henchman tonight. That rooster Henry will live to see another day.

And on that chipper note I'm going to eat some chocolate and sip a chai, and so I bid you adieu.

Until next time, folks.

Last edited:
How to bathe a rooster, the condensed version.

Condensed instructions, that is. Although I have to say, Henry is a condensed version of his former rooster self with half of those darned feathers snipped off.

Okay, so get a tub, preferably not the one your husband uses for his vintage snapback hat collection. But if it's the perfect size to float a rooster with enough room for his head to stick out so he can watch his hens watching him, it'll do.

That's what I used.

Boil a stew pot 3/4 full of water and add three cups of epsom salt. I always tend to overdo things, so I wouldn't be surprised if you were to tell me I only needed a teaspoon.

I boiled the water for five minutes to purify it, but I'm not sure that was necessary. It's one of those "It can't hurt, so why not" things, and maybe it even helps.

But you kind of undo the water purification when you cut it with cold water direct from the tap.

Anyhoo, moving on.

Place the tub on a towel in the rooster recovery room and nudge it up close to the sliding glass door. A spare towel is a really good idea because unexpected things can happen when you're floating a rooster in a tub.

Also keep a washcloth handy. Don't expect your injured rooster to start swimming around in there and cleaning all those honey soaked feathers by himself.

And now it's time to float a rooster.

I knew from the summer dunkings I did for the chickens in response to our extreme heat that chickens float. They have feathers, and anything with feathers supposedly floats, but do they float head upright, or do they tip and float head upside down. One's good, one is not.

Hen Pen Jem bathes her birds with the water level up to the vent. The vent is the exit hatch for those who, like me, are new to chickening and are still learning the various pieces and parts of chicken anatomy. So that's how full I filled the tub.

Then I gently lifted Henry up with his wings held to his sides so he couldn't wiggle, and I set him down in the tub, unsure of how this was going to go.

It went marvelously well, except for that one sudden splash that threw a bunch of chicken saturated water into my mouth.

Henry's legs were the focus of the epsom salt bath. Really it was intended as a soak, not an actual bath. But as he half floated, half stood there, working his muscles to maintain his floaty balance, which was an unexpected bonus, it occurred to me that people really do bathe their chickens, and Henry was a sticky mess.

So I grabbed the washcloth and carefully sloshed water through his feathers. The undercarriage wounds were healing nicely, and I felt they'd benefit from the epsom salt, but when water splashed on some of his more serious wounds, I figured why not.

Note: If your fella has a deep puncture wound, cover it with a folded square of plastic wrap and secure it in place with honey. But keep in mind that honey is water soluble, and also remember that the plastic wrap isn't zip locked to his skin; water can seep underneath if you're not careful.

The more I soaked his feathers and flooded his lower region with water, the more I saw chicken debris float off his tattered body and into the tub. In just a quick minute the water was honey colored and full of food crumbs, soft tufts of snipped feathers, and other unidentifiables.

And, yes, I really did get a thorough splashing in the mouth of Henry soaked water. It was a delightful experience. I no longer sleep in a bed at night; I roost.

There isn't much more to it than that. The non-condensed version would involve more words, but why read the full version of Pride and Prejudice when you can read the Cliff Notes and be done with it!

Something I didn't expect, consider, think about, or otherwise ponder, was the increased buoyancy because of the salt. It seemed to really make a difference and help Henry engage his muscles without comprising his safety. Aside from one quick splash with his wings, he was totally blissed out in that tub and relaxed.

When Henry's hens came up to the glass door and saw his head sticking out of the tub, they pecked on the door and chirped and squawked for a bit, and then they found the bowl of crushed eggshells I'd left for them on the deck and flew-walk to it in a frenzy and forgot about the floating rooster.

The effects of the bath were pretty apparent to me. Henry was more relaxed than I've seen him since the coyote attack ten or so days ago. He was sparkly clean, and his wounds were flushed out and looking better than ever. I ended up saturating every last bit of him with the epsom salt water, except for the worst wound up top. He has two other wounds that are quite large and deep, but the honey has done wonders healing them, and they responded wonderfully well to the bath.

Today I made a fresh batch of salt water, but this time I put Henry in his sling and soaked both legs in a bowl. It was just deep enough to thoroughly cover the open sores on his lame leg. For the good leg I'm still using a comfrey poultice, which has significantly lessened the redness along the side of that leg and on his elbow.

The other day I was heartsick when I found those gangrene-looking wounds on Henry's lame leg. It seemed sudden, like one day there was redness and heat and mounded sores, and the next the sores had opened and changed to a greenish gray color.

I've done a fair amount of reading on gangrene in chickens, and as some of you have mentioned, it's possible he may have it in that leg. But I'm not seeing any changes for the worse, not yet anyway, and he's feistier today and showing me more of his roostery self.

So once again the danged rooster lives.

But I'm feeling quite attuned to the reality of how internal infections can advance. There's peace in confronting that and ...

Holy honeyed feathers, folks, I now bring to you a wonderful and sudden and unexpected interruption, like from the deck just outside Henry's recovery room!!

He hasn't crowed since the coyote attack, and no mad clucking. When one of his hens lays an egg or is unhappy about something and mad clucks, Henry does sympathy mad clucking. Well, guess what?

A hen just laid an egg and then mad clucked her way over to the deck, and from the depths of the recovery room I heard a sympathy mad cluck in show of support for her.

Henry mad clucked!

Wow, no chicken henchman tonight. That rooster Henry will live to see another day.

And on that chipper note I'm going to eat some chocolate and sip a chai, and so I bid you adieu.

Until next time, folks.

You are an absolutely wonderful storyteller. One of the very best I have read anywhere, including the myriad of books I read each week. Your posts are informative, descriptive, filled with hope and sadness, happiness and tears - and fantastically spell-binding!

You need to write a book. Heck - just cut, paste and save these posts you have written!!!

Thank you very much for taking all of us on this amazing journey of Henry's and of yourself.

Best wishes to your sparkling clean and un-honeyed (to the gills), mad clucking Rooster Henry!

P.S. Btw, I can just see you in the coop now, roosting on high - along with your feathered playmates.
:lau

Epsom salt works great on chickens, ducks and people. It helps relieve imflamation, dry up drainage and soothe aching muscles. But, just in case you're not aware it is also a laxative, so no drinking of it for Henry. You don't want his extra nutrients running right thru him. Magnesium is helpful in muscle development and for muscle cramps in humans. It's what is in a lot of bath salts for ladies...and who doesn't love a warm, relaxing soak in the tub now and then. I'm so glad to hear Henry has given you enough hope in his recovery to keep pushing forward. You are both troopers!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom