Rooster rough breathing, painful pooping

tinydinos

Chirping
Dec 27, 2020
My 3 year old Japanese bantam rooster presented with a limp about a month ago, right around when the weather turned cold and wet. I brought him inside, found when bathing his undercarriage in an effort to find the (invisible) source of the limp that he had a breast blister which looked painful but not deep or pus-filled. He made a squeaking noise when defecating, as though it caused him pain. He was also panting under the least bit of stress but breathing normally at other times. I've had him sleeping on a towel-padded perch since, indoors at night. I also removed his spurs thinking that maybe that how they were curling - one quite a lot - had contributed to him perching incorrectly. His eyes look bright and his comb is erect and red.

I was giving him a 1/4 chewable aspirin 2x a day for two weeks. He had signs of parasites - very sore/red looking areas at the base of the feathers around the vent and ankles - so the whole flock got treated with Eprinex (two doses, 10 days apart) and quarters sprayed with a dilution of Permethrin 10%. The birds have been dusted with Permethrin Poultry Dust as well. I saw some similar signs on his fellow rooster who he spends most of his time with as well but not any of the hens.
The flock is semi-free range but spend more time in their coops and the greenhouse in winter. They all roost together but hens and roos spend the days in separate areas. The flock was last wormed, as a precaution, with Safeguard, in early autumn. The other birds, including the other rooster, seem to be doing all right.

In the weeks the afflicted roo has been overnighting inside he never stopped eating (but also never has drunk much), he has lost the limp entirely, gained weight, had his plumage improve (except for where the Pick No More has stained his belly and the lotion on his legs has caused dirt to be picked up), the breast blister has formed a scab that is starting to come off, the hot spots on his skin (though still discernible) have faded, and he seemed to be improving over all in terms of energy and engagement. His periods of heavy breathing diminished considerably. He explored the house and figured out the kitchen is the most promising area. I was letting him spend whole days outside, just in the greenhouse where it is pretty sheltered and relatively warm, and he has had regular contact with his buddy to keep both their spirits up.

But now he is regressing. He is mobile, his balance is good, he did his round of crowing this morning. His crop empties quickly and he doesn't smell any particular way. But. He is panting harder at the least provocation, e.g., when I pick him up, although he is happy at the same time to eat a treat I'm offering him. His whole body moves with his breathing when he is just perching, although his beak is not open. His tail droops at times. He's had a bit of 'snot' under one nostril for the past two days, which is new. His poops are getting smaller, tending hard green and white, although some are now liquid, either smelly dark green, or all white. He is still eating but not as much unless there is a treat involved. Defecating seems to be causing him more pain again. He is back to spending a lot of time standing in one place instead of roaming the house seeing what I am up to.

And just now when I was gently pressing to the side of his vent, he squeaked, strained, and pressed out a large drop of bright red blood !!!! His droppings have not been bloody, and are still not. He is now doing his best to avoid me, though! He has parked himself suggestively at the front door 😅

I feed the flock organic crumble always on offer; chopped greens 1x day. Water always available, multiple sources - sometimes with probiotic or acv in but usually not. They get occasional treats of sunflower seed or apple. I am in rural northern California, my local vet is not well acquainted with chickens, thinks that 3 years is a good lifespan for them, and is not comfortable with going outside the box with "food animals." I have Corid available.

Any ideas on what might be causing him this increasing pain and distress?

Thank you for any assistance

Attachments

• roughbreathing painpooping roo.jpg
    roughbreathing painpooping roo.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 25
I've had a rooster with similar symptoms. They were caused by tumors from lymphoid leucosis, an avian virus similar to Marek's. If that's what's going on with your roo, there isn't anything you can do.

I've had a rooster with similar symptoms. They were caused by tumors from lymphoid leucosis, an avian virus similar to Marek's. If that's what's going on with your roo, there isn't anything you can do.
Thank you for the reply, disheartening as it is. I am sorry for your roo, and can't help but continue to hope for a better outcome for mine 😞

A bit of coconut oil chilled and cut into bits to peck, or a little olive or mineral oil can be added to his feed to soften his droppings. Is there any caking of poo around his vent? Encourage drinking more water, and you can make a small bowl of watery chicken feed for him. If he likes a treat of scrambled egg, water can also be added to that.

Look his ankles and knee joints over for any swelling. Bacterial joint infections can cause limping and breast blisters are also common.

@Wyorp Rock @Eggcessive

Thank you so much for your replies.

I am not giving him chewable aspirin now and haven't been for two weeks.

All the other chickens love mash / moist food but he never has, unfortunately. I have been giving him the juicy stem of baby bok choi, chopped, as his daily veg, in the interest of getting more fluids into him. He does love coconut oil and he got some last night and this morning. I will try him on moist egg. (I'd planned to do so this afternoon when in the company of his brother who is much more likely to try and demonstrate the goodness of new things but: see below.)

There hasn't been any mess clinging to his vent or the feathers around his vent.

His skin overall still looks dry and either shedding or maybe some parasite detritus in spots, despite the treatments. Other flock members look fine. OTOH, they are also out in the damp 24/7 and the humidity is much lower in the house. I don't want to stress him but I think he might also feel better for a bath.

I gave him some Green Valley lactose-free plain kefir this morning, which he knows as a special treat - because it invariably gives them the runs - and I noticed when he ran across the hard floor to get it that it looked liked his feet were bothering him. I haven't been able to see or feel any swelling.

However, we had some drama soon after. I went out to do the morning routine with the rest of the flock and when I came back in it seemed he had bitten off (or opened) the end of one of his spur nubs. It's been weeks since I removed his curly-q spurs and they've been neosporined and vaselined a couple times since. They had seemed to have healed up nicely.

Didn't realize what had happened at first and when I picked him up, I thought he was hemorrhaging out of his vent 😱 so I'm glad *that* wasn't the case. Tried stopping the heavy bleeding with corn starch but it took just letting him go so he would stop struggling. When I did he immediately started making happy noises and went and had a snack 🙄

I can't provide representative poop pics right now because they are all kefir-spawned messes. He certainly isn't constipated at the moment! I will remember to take pics in future.

When I just tried to get him to rest up in his night time perch he struggled free and hopped down, so I guess the trauma is all on my part. Still it seemed like a lot of blood and I am wondering why his feet are bothering him so much that self mutilation seemed like a good idea?

By the way, he wasn't panting during all that but he's breathing hard now, an hour later. Go figure.

PS. Now his undercarriage is purple, as well as his legs, courtesy BluKote and an ill timed attempt to fly, which *did* leave him panting. Thankfully, we're seeing some sun here lately. He's in the greenhouse because he is just so much happier there, and active, and I can't see how him huddling in a one-man protest near the door, in a house that is actually colder than the greenhouse in sunlight, is better for his health than hanging out in the garden beds (RIP perennials) with his best bud. I'll just be sure to clean his wound well before bedtime. And if it really is something dreadful he's dealing with, best to have every day count.
😕🌥️

Back
Top Bottom