Rooster Sick, Sleepy, Dizzy, Lathargic

Chickntenn

Chirping
9 Years
Jan 1, 2011
Southern-middle Tennessee
My Roo is exhibiting odd symptoms... He is very quiet, stands with his eyes closed, moves very slowly, and seems to fall over when eating from the ground. He stills seems to have an appetite and is drinking water. Any Ideas???

I will give a thorough "look over" first thing in the morning. His poop is normal, I watched him today in the yard, standing with his head under his wing... sleeping! He later was in the pen, crouched on the ground sleeping. I tossed some cracked corn and he ate that. Oh he also stays in the hen house on the sleeping perch, long after all the hens are out.
I haven't a CLUE!!!!

I checked my Roo all over... no signs of Anything unusual! I started him on tetracycline today. His appetite is good, but very slow moving and falling asleep standing up. We'll see what happens!

Possibly Marek's disease, or even Newcastle. I had a rooster that I put down due to very similar symptoms, and I regret not getting a necropsy. I would highly recommend getting one. Was your roo vaccinated for either of those diseases? Was the rest of your flock?

People are always posting about similar symptoms, and we often never get any follow up. I would appreciate it if you keep us informed about what happens to him, the results of a necropsy, if you get one. It is helpful to know which diseases are causing problems, and where.

I think it's Marek's b/c my roo was doing the same thing and also a few hens. Now he's showing the typical Marek's symptoms. But it could also be Newcastle as well.

Last edited:
Or it could be some other kind of bacterial or viral illness. If you are able to get him checked out by a vet, this could get to the bottom of it so he gets the right meds if meds are called for (I had a hen get like this a few years ago and blood work was consistent with infection and/or inflammation of unknown origin. Vet treated symptomatically and she recovered beautifully and is the absolute picture of health today - I truly thought I was going to lose her until she turned right around on meds).

If he is in hot temps in your neck of the woods, I would get him to quiet, comfortable cooler area indoors until he recuperates. When ill, hot steamy temps are so hard to endure. If he has a best buddy, maybe buddy could keep him company so his spirits are not dampened further.

Take note whether poop is normal or not.... And get maximum nutrition into him right now. Avia Charge 2000 in his water if you have it. Some use Rooster Booster.

JJ

Thanks for the comments!
Last month I had a hen with these symptoms but worse! Each time she would reach down to eat something, she would tip over like she had vertigo! I had to put her down.
Today I hand fed my Roo with wet chick mash and scrambled eggs, he ate like he was starving to death!! That is a good sign. He does seem a bit more perky than ystrday.
OH! One other thing.... the last time I heard him crow it sounded very raspy, like he had a very sore throat. He hasn't crowed in a week. I will just keep watching and hoping for the best. The Vet is not an option. I will continue with the antibiotics. Will let yall' know!

Could also be worms or mites. They both have the lethargic behavior also. If its worms, he will have lost weight. If its mites, his comb and around his face will be paler than usual. If neither of these is the case, you can call your state Dept of Agriculture. They can swab and test for Newcastle and Avian Influenza. You can also look up cocci symptoms and see if he shows any of those symptoms, since lethargy can also mean cocci.

Last month I had a hen with these symptoms but worse! Each time she would reach down to eat something, she would tip over like she had vertigo! I had to put her down.

Exact symptoms I put my rooster down for. He could no longer eat and drink because he kept tipping over when he reached down to eat. Your thought that it is like vertigo is probably correct, although I think it is more of a disequilbrium than vertigo. Both are caused by disease to the inner ear or the nerve that goes to the inner ear. Animals with vertigo are too nauseous to eat, but disequilibrium does not cause nausea. (I know about this stuff because I had an inner ear disease, requiring its removal).

I think the fact that now two members of your flock have been affected, says you are more than likely dealing with a contagious illness, probably Marek's disease. Even if they were vaccinated as chicks they can still get it because they vaccine is not 100% effective. But you will have more losses if not vaccinated. Vaccinate in the future.​

Back
Top Bottom