Rooster sleeping in tree

Even if you mean to let them range most of the time, it's helpful to have a covered run area that you can confine them to temporarily at times.
That's true. They have a run attached to their coop, both of which are inside a larger fenced in area, even though they free range all day. Keeping him in the run closer to bed time might work too. Thanks!

P.S. Assuming that the place they're shut into has enough space and ventilation. :)
I realized tonight as I was putting him in, that I have one hen (she's currently the top of the pecking order) who's not really having any of his manly business. She didn't really let him in the coop without picking on him, so I put him in on the roost myself and they were fine. Maybe he's avoiding confrontation by sleeping in the tree, and she's being a little bit of a bully because he's working his way up the ranks.

I'll have to keep a closer eye on this situation, but thanks for all the ideas!

Our little rooster is about 10 weeks now, and just started crowing and trying to mount the ladies. He's becoming a man!😂 At the same time this change occurred, he started roosting in our tree beside the coop, instead of in the coop with the hens. I've climbed up and gotten him down 4 or 5 times and put him in the coop, but he keeps going up there! What's the deal? Thoughts/advice?
I had a hen that preferred to sleep up in a tree. I think it is totally fine. She lived a long time. I a!ways knew where to find her after dark.

I locked them in their coop for 2 days (weather was still good and good ventilation on my coop) and then I did the night time shut in option for about a week or so (felt like an eternity until they got in on their own!) and never had a problem after that. They started going in on their own and life has been wonderful. He'll get it. Just be consistent with whatever you choose to do! Best of luck!
I was just surprised that after 10 weeks of going in the coop, he up and decided the tree was better. 😂 But yes, you're probably right, he'll most likely adapt to going back in if he gets in the routine!

I was just surprised that after 10 weeks of going in the coop, he up and decided the tree was better. 😂 But yes, you're probably right, he'll most likely adapt to going back in if he gets in the routine!
😂 I love how they change their minds. But your probably right...it's his not so friendly coop mate that's probably the deterrent and the source of his change of heart.

Back
Top Bottom