Rooster sleeping in tree

That's where chickens are supposed to roost.:D
Depending on the type of predators you have I would consider letting him roost in the tree. Most, but not all end up roosting in a coop when they have established themselves with the hens.
If you have a secure run then making him a roost bar in the run rather than the coop would probably work with a bit of encouragement.

This article might help you avoid injury tree climbing.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/getting-chickens-out-of-trees-and-into-their-coops.75511/
As long as he has something to eat & a place to sleep he's happy lol

Thanks for sharing!! That was a good article. I’m in PA so maybe raccoons as a predator? I honestly don’t know what predators climb trees lol. I did think about letting him roost up there, I just didn’t know if I’d sleep knowing he wasn’t locked in the coop. 😂
I'm in pa too! Racoons are definitely on the list of tree climbing predators. But we have a ton of foxes about in Eastern pa. Aerial predators are usually the thing that gets my neighbors chickens when the are free ranging. Foxes are persistent and will wait them out to come down. Would probably be best if you could at least get him in the run so he doesn't become someone's dinner...or breakfast. I wouldn't sleep either if he was just out there on his own. Especially because he's so young.😊

I locked them in their coop for 2 days (weather was still good and good ventilation on my coop) and then I did the night time shut in option for about a week or so (felt like an eternity until they got in on their own!) and never had a problem after that. They started going in on their own and life has been wonderful. He'll get it. Just be consistent with whatever you choose to do! Best of luck!

That's where chickens are supposed to roost.:D
Depending on the type of predators you have I would consider letting him roost in the tree. Most, but not all end up roosting in a coop when they have established themselves with the hens.
If you have a secure run then making him a roost bar in the run rather than the coop would probably work with a bit of encouragement.

This article might help you avoid injury tree climbing.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/getting-chickens-out-of-trees-and-into-their-coops.75511/

Thanks for sharing!! That was a good article. I’m in PA so maybe raccoons as a predator? I honestly don’t know what predators climb trees lol. I did think about letting him roost up there, I just didn’t know if I’d sleep knowing he wasn’t locked in the coop. 😂

What breed of rooster is he? If a heavy breed, the problem will resolve itself when he gets too heavy to fly up into the tree. But really it is a good idea to lock all chickens inside at night because of predators.
What breed of rooster is he? If a heavy breed, the problem will resolve itself when he gets too heavy to fly up into the tree. But really it is a good idea to lock all chickens inside at night because of predators.
[/QUOTE

His moms an Isa brown and his dads Polish.

Back
Top Bottom