rooster sneezing

Cathy Corbett

In the Brooder
5 Years
Aug 23, 2014
he started this yesterday sneezing when he tries to crow , and his comb fell over.. I have seperated him from the rest of the flock..

Are there some meds that I can give him?

Thanks

It sounds like your rooster may be sick with a respiratory disease. Respiratory diseases are particularly common at this time of year, during cold and damp weather. It was a good idea isolating him from the other birds- this may help prevent the spread of the disease, though it is likely that your other birds have already been exposed.

It's possible that it is just dusty in the coop and may not be a respiratory disease. However, more birds would probably be affected if this was the case.

Viral respiratory diseases can't really be treated. Give supportive care, such as electrolytes, probiotics, and vitamins. Make sure that he is eating and drinking. This is all you can do if the disease is viral. If he gets worse, or doesn't get better, get antibiotics. Tylan50 injectable is one of the best antibiotics for respiratory diseases. You can also get a water soluable antibiotic like Terramycin or Duramycin, from a local feed store or livestock supply store. These should help if it is a bacteria-caused disease.

The unfortunate thing about respiratory diseases is that they may appear to have gone away, only to come back later, when a bird is under stress. Most respiratory diseases cause birds to become carriers, and they can pass it on to other birds. Many people choose to cull birds with respiratory diseases for this reason. But, this isn't often practical or desirable for a small backyard flock owner or an owner who cares a lot about their birds. If you decide not to cull, keep in mind that you should keep a closed flock (don't sell birds to other people), to prevent spreading the disease to other flocks.

Determining the exact respiratory disease, if it is a respiratory disease, is hard to do. He could have a mild disease, like Infectious Bronchitis, or the beginnings of a severe disease, such as Chronic Respiratory Disease.

Hopefully, it is only a mild viral disease. Or, best of all, it is caused by dusty conditions and will go away on its own. The above information is only information on what I belie to be the most probable cause (a respiratory disease).

Best wishes to you and your rooster!

Last edited:
I sure hope it isn't serious, in the last week they have moved into another coop.. I had another rooster that acted weird, didn't act sick but did die. I am going to start them all on the water soluble antibiotic, tomorrow.. I sure hope it hasn't spread.. thanks for your help

Watching for certain symptoms will help to determine if he is having a problem from dust or mold, or infection. Look for watery or foamy eyes, nasal drainage, swelling around an eye or the face, a bad odor, gasping, throat rattles or gurgles, sneezing, and coughing. Here is a good link to read about diseases, and read about aspergillosis, infectious bronchitis, mycoplasma (MG,) coryza, and ILT: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

He seems like he wants to eat, I haven't seen any discharge from the nose at all, just some sneezing, when he goes to crow.. I am going to treat everyone in the flocks with the water soluble antibiotic. All of these diseases sound very serious and could devastate a flock..
If I would have to pick one it would be corza.. or the infectious brochitis.. this is a new coop.. and Noone else seems to be bothered with this problem..
I am not taking any chances... antibiotics tomorrow whether they like it or not!!
Thank you so much for your help!

Since none of your other birds are affected and your rooster is only sneezing; I suspect it's an environmental issue causing your rooster to sneeze. Perhaps he inhaled feed dust or feed granule to cause the sneezing. Respiratory diseases show other symptoms. As mentioned, it could be a fungal issue as well.

He seems like he wants to eat, I haven't seen any discharge from the nose at all, just some sneezing, when he goes to crow.. I am going to treat everyone in the flocks with the water soluble antibiotic. All of these diseases sound very serious and could devastate a flock..
If I would have to pick one it would be corza.. or the infectious brochitis.. this is a new coop.. and Noone else seems to be bothered with this problem..
I am not taking any chances... antibiotics tomorrow whether they like it or not!!
Thank you so much for your help!
I understand your being worried since you lost another rooster before who didn't seem sick, but I would try to find a cause for the sneezing. As Dawg53 said, sneezing can be caused by feed and dust, and mold in the environment can cause fungal infections. Treating all of your birds without showing symptoms is not good either, since it can cause antibiotic-resistant bacteria. If you are only hearing a sneeze when he crows, that sounds peculiar. If he sneezes often without showing other respiratory symptoms, I would think it is an environmental issue as well. Infectious bronchitis, which does cause sneezing and a runny nose is a virus that has to run it's course--antibiotics won't lessen the symptoms or the time it takes to recover. They can help prevent secondary bacterial infections in IB, but I would treat only him if you feel the need. If you would lose another chicken, try to get a necropsy done by your state vet--this would tell you what you are dealing with if there is a disease.

What about old feed? I bought a couple bags from someone that was going out of business.. did feed them some.. I will clean up the coop extra well tomorrow.
I hate the thought of this... I can't be having my kids just dropping over! I will be keeping a very close eye on them

What about old feed? I bought a couple bags from someone that was going out of business.. did feed them some.. I will clean up the coop extra well tomorrow.
I hate the thought of this... I can't be having my kids just dropping over! I will be keeping a very close eye on them
Moldy feed can be a huge problem with aflatoxin poisoning and mold causing severe illness and death, but just old feed without mold can have vitamin loss. I doubt that his sneezing is caused by old feed. Most feed bags have dates of manufacture on them to tell you how fresh it is.

Moldy feed can be a huge problem with aflatoxin poisoning and mold causing severe illness and death, but just old feed without mold can have vitamin loss. I doubt that his sneezing is caused by old feed. Most feed bags have dates of manufacture on them to tell you how fresh it is.

well I will take extra care with him the next few days, see if he comes back around. needless to say, I wont be giving this feed back to them again,

If something happens to him I will definatly take him to the state agent and see what is going on with my flock.. I feel that i have some very special birds, and it would absolutely kill me if
there is something serious going on!!

I will be a very busy girl tomorrow!!
Thank you for spending your Sunday night with me, I appreciate it so very much!

Back
Top Bottom