Rooster spur removal?

Fluffychicky

Chirping
6 Years
Mar 26, 2013
Sophia, NC
I am completely new to chickens and I have never been spurred by a rooster, the idea frightens me. I keep hearing stories from my mother about how she had to have stitches because of a mean roo, but I still want a rooster so bad! They're gorgeous and I want him to protect me feathery gals when I'm not out in the yard. However I DO NOT want to be afraid to walk out into the yard ever! I've seen the hot potato method which sounds like it works for a few weeks but I'm scared that I may hurt him and that would break my heart, so I was wondering if a vet could permanently remove the spurs for me. Like knock him out and clip them off quick and all so that they won't come back. I'm ok with trimming them but I don't want to end up with bloody legs if I forget to once or twice. Ideally I would like my rooster to be tame and friendly, but I understand realistically he will probably go through a mean spell. Has anyone had their roos permanently de-spurred and how much was it for the procedure?

spurs are easy to cut .All you need is a pair of small ( handheld) pruning sheers get the ones that have only one blade that is sharp.Cut the spur 3/8" from the leg. Tostop the bleeding use stop bleed powder, soap or ferric chloride

Back
Top Bottom