Rooster stalks and attacks strangers only

Sometimes the most logical thing to do is keep a protective roo penned up when you have company... especially small kids.

That way you don't really discourage the protectiveness and nobody gets hurt.

Just my 2 cents

I agree. This is the first time he has ever shown any real aggression towards people, so from now on he will have to be locked up when anyone else is going to be over in the yard. Previously he has seemed 'watchful' but hasnt doing anything to really worry about.

I do plan on getting a "beware of roosters" sign for the gate to the yard though
lau.gif

We did end up having to work out a special schedule to keep the "conflict" down. My dad was visiting to housesit for me for a couple days, so I dont have a choice of leaving the roo locked up....either way, they will have to be in the same area for lockup (and unlocking). But having my dad lock up the coop 20 minutes later once everyone is already on the roosts and "in bed" for the night, and unlocking the coop in the mornings 20 minutes early when everyone is still on the roosts waking up.......helps to keep the peace and avoid the issue. The 2z4 and the rake are nice security measures too
clap.gif

Interestingly enough, when my dad went out in the yard alone later, the rooster ignored him from a distance (the girls were with the rooster far away too). And when I was in the yard alone with them today they acted same as always. This happened when my dad was following along walking behind me, so it almost seems like the rooster was protecting me?

I have two JG roos that are about 8mo old they are great flock protection. Mother in law use to help use when we went on vacation care for chickens needless to say she turned her back on one and got clawed up. They like to test me occasionally but picking them up seems to set them straight for a while. The way I figure they do what they are suppose to do.

My roo has stalked strangers, but doesn't spur/flog. He just walks a few feet behind them, stops every few steps and crows.
He crows when vehicles pull up too.
He's our watch roo.
smile.png

I had gotten 12 packing peanuts with an order of ducklings at our old house. Once they grew up they were better at protecting the property than our dogs
lau.gif
gig.gif

A guy walked back to our pole building to ask us about some scrap we had sitting out front. He got more than just scrap metal that day! He had about 6 of those roosters chasing him back out the driveway
lau.gif
I know, they can hurt, but this was a BIG guy! What was I supposed to do, tell them to "leave it"?
lau.gif
My boys lived completely outside. We had no other chickens at the time, no coop or anything - they were the healthiest boys ever, I still miss them! (we had to give them away because they started roosting on the trucks rather than their old spot
hit.gif
) Here's one of them (I have no idea what breed they were,but they were gorgeous!)
27475_animals_17.jpg

my RIR Roo will stalk people and jump at them like he is gonna flogg but doesn't actually get close enough to do it. only does it if the person's back is turned and if you turn around when you hear it he is walking or scratching like nothing ever happened. it's like he is playing a game
smile.png
. now he will attack small dogs... to the distress of my mom's nonsense.

Well, the Giant Rooster did it again.....my brother in law (and niece) came over yesterday while I was not home. Apparently the Giant Rooster tried to flog my brother in law once (made contact but no injury)......he has not tried to touch my dad since that first time. My dad has been staying with me and going in and out of the yard daily without any problems at all.

Seems like the Giant Rooster just doesn' take kindly to strangers coming into his yard. Once he has met them a few times he is fine......fortunately I rarely have strangers coming into my yard. This definitely changes my pet sitting plans!

I know how you feel, I had to forego a seminar in Dallas because I don't want anyone else trying to let my chickens out or feed them due to my rooster.

He tries to flog EVERYBODY except my DH(I carry a "weapon" so he doesn't bother me anymore either).

I'll keep him though because he a fantastic flock protector(and besides the little demon spawn is awfully pretty).

Well, I don't even need to carry a weapon........and neither does my dad now. Once he got used to him he was fine. He is not aggressive towards me at all, and once he knows someone (apparently) he is okay with them too. My mom will be here visiting in a few weeks, so I guess we will try her out too.

I guess for liability, I should put a sign on the gate......the area he is in is fenced and he is way too heavy to get over any fence or gate. I like the idea of him taking care of his girls if people come into the yard......but it is still a bit inconvenient sometimes.

Back
Top Bottom