Rooster stamping his feet at me

jpyarb

Hatching
5 Years
Jun 30, 2014
Sometimes my 7 month old rooster comes at me broadside and stamping his feet. Often his wing is out like he's doing the matador dance. He doesn't make any loud noises while doing this. He is not a mean bird and lets me hold him anytime. Think he's trying to intimidate me? Or seduce me? Lol. I can't figure out what he thinks! Anyone else have his happen?

It's low level aggression - the same sort of posturing roosters do at each other. Some people just ignore it, some people go after the rooster, etc.

I prefer to just ignore it - I think that 'walking through the rooster' or pushing the rooster around with your feet, etc, just promotes escalation of the aggression. As long as they don't do anything more than the posturing and running back and forth, I just keep doing whatever it was I was doing.

I agree with crazy.

I had rooster become agressive after having to handle and treat him close up for a few weeks. (He had lost a fight and needed crop feeding forma bit cause he couldn't eat). From what i had read your were meant to dominate the chook... Put him in his place.. Gl grab him hold him down... Got worse and worse... Change of tactic, always carry feed bowl and shove that under his nose if he comes, and just generally avoid being in his space. Well he is returning to be a nice calm rooster now.

So, sounds like he think he is your boss. Nothing may come of it. But just ignore it and continue as normal.

Back
Top Bottom