Rooster standing/walking like a penguin - What's wrong?

I have not dewormed him, mostly because I have Ivermectin-plus, and have been reluctant to use it on the birds, but I don't suppose it would be bad to try it on him now. He has not been injured at all that I can tell, and he hasn't been out with the other livestock that I can see. He could have eaten hardware--there is enough hardware stuff from years of farming around here to kill more birds than I have. His poop is definitely a gree-yellow color, so that would seem a possibility. I'm not going to take him to the vet though, the roo is not a beloved pet. I'll try the deworming I think, but if doesn't get better I'll put him out of his misery. Meanwhile, I think I'll go check on him.....

Quote:
Wasn't it just posted on 3/01/2011 ?

I was thinking maybe a worm overload? Foamy yellow poop can be a sign of worms. What's the 'plus' in Ivermectin-Plus?

Or maybe he has a problem from too much calcium in the layer feed? Excess calcium can damage a roo's kidneys.

Possibly a crop problem? How does his crop feel?

I wish i could help more, but I just don't know. Please keep us updated.

He's still alive, maybe slightly more energetic, but otherwise unchanged. He definitely has parasites. I've been talking with the breed thread about it. It could be mites, but I'm going to check out some pics, to make sure its not lice. Either way, the ivermecten should treat it all, but the bugs were still alive and plentiful last night. I'm acting as if it's the parasites, but if he doesn't heal with treatments for parasites, then I'm going to put him down because he'll be useless as well as on the road for a very uncomfortable life.

Holy cow, um rooster -- progress! He's actually standing in a normal posture. He's none too steady on his feet, but he is walking around more and foraging. Go ivermectin, I guess. I wasn't sure if he was getting enough in the water, so I put a few drops on the back of neck this morning. Okay, and now I'm going sound stupid....I think the "mites" are actually lice, just not the same as I'm used to seeing. Their oblong with cream colored bodies and have black blotchy backs. There are bugs of all sizes on him, but they are variation of that coloring. I think the "black bug" I saw was moving quickly, and I didn't see that it was cream with black on it. Does it take a whole week or two to kill them all? Cause they are plentiful. I bought some game-bird feed today to feed him along with the other good stuff. They were out of pine shavings, so that's gonna wait. I'm acutally kinda surprised he's improved. I just had to attach this picture. Wadda ya know? Doesn't look like the same bird.
50716_buckeyeimproved1.jpg

50716_buckeyeimproved2.jpg

Thank you all for the encouragement, stories, and information.

That is awsome,
thumbsup.gif
but if I was you I'd treat the whole coop and all your birds if one has them most likely they all do.. but so glad to see he actually looks like a rooster again..

I would throw a bit of seven on him. It kills the bugs as soon as it hits. They literally drop at your feet. He looks so very much better. I was a bit afraid to read the post fearing he had died. Good for you and him.
sharon

I'll keep that in mind, thanks. Sometimes things are a good idea, but I have to wait to execute them because of living so far away from services. I haven't got any seven, so I'll have to check around, and probably order some. So far, I've only seen local farm supply selling permethrin powders, which I've not had good luck with.

Back
Top Bottom