Rooster started humping my TV remote.šŸ˜±

Pics
I wish we could see more input, thoughts, experiences from the house chicken side of things on BYC. Weā€™ve got the gamut of thoughts from chickens are poopy critters only useful for meat to half pets/half livestock, to outside only pets, but I havenā€™t heard much from indoor mostly pets. It would be nice to hear about what works and what doesnā€™t, behaviors and/or behavior changes, concerns and considerations.

I personally donā€™t have and probably wonā€™t have a house chicken (not including bringing them in for some finite amount of time), but I also have space and a good set up and other things not to worry about. I feel like it is probably possible to have a content house chicken(s), but could also be very detrimental, but not enough info to go on. Of course a chicken would be content outside in a coop, too!

Basically, Iā€™d like to hear more from ā€œthe other sideā€ to have a well rounded out discussion.

Stop hating on the cockerel lover. He's better off as a house chicken than a fried chicken or fox bait. I have 7 cockerels that I can't keep, and it makes me happy to hear that this boy gets to keep his life. And he's loved.
I did not see anybody hating on the OP. Also nobody said to make fried chicken of his cockerel.

And just because you have 7 cockerels you say you cannot keep, it is no reason for another one to live a miserable life.

I did not see anybody hating on the OP. Also nobody said to make fried chicken of his cockerel.

And just because you have 7 cockerels you say you cannot keep, it is no reason for another one to live a miserable life.

I had 9, 2 of which were successfully rehomed. My 7 (pets) are going to die. There is no way around it, no one else needs or wants a rooster. That's not a better fate than being a housepet.

Is there anyway you could get one of those big temporary dog crates and put it outside your complex? Would that be allowed? and you could like move it everyday so he could get grass and maybe get some girls for him? So he can be outside in the grass during the day but comes in at night? I doubt that's possible... I'm definetly stretching it......

I had 9, 2 of which were successfully rehomed. My 7 (pets) are going to die. There is no way around it, no one else needs or wants a rooster. That's not a better fate than being a housepet.
I am sorry you will lose them, but this thread here is not about the fate of your cockerels.

It is just about the normal chicken life the OP's cockerel is deprived of.

I understand how difficult it is to face giving up a bird youā€™ve raised and loved. But maybe thereā€™s another, smaller galliform species that could fill your heart without the space needs a chicken has. Say... coturnix quail perhaps? Then can live in guinea pig cages, are absolutely adorable, and can become pretty tame. Plus they lay very nice eggs.

Back
Top Bottom