Rooster Stopped Crowing

saltytaco728

In the Brooder
Jun 2, 2016
Michigan
I have an Ameraucana rooster who is 17 weeks old, and began crowing over a month ago. He had a really strong crow and crowed all the time. He is a noisy boy, always talking. A few weeks ago his crow sounded weak, and now he doesn't crow at all. He free ranges all day, but he is eating the same food and getting all the same treats. He seems fine, he still likes to talk just as much as he did. Does anyone have any explanation as to why he stopped crowing all of a sudden?

This is odd. Do you have any other roosters that are older than him? If so it could be that they have established dominance already and over him and hes affraid to crow because that's sometimes viewed as a threat to dominant roosters.

I do have roosters that are older than him, all of them crow, but it is very possible that my Ameraucana rooster is lower on the pecking order.

More than likely thats it. Do you notice that when he is around them hes very skittish and affraid?

he is not around other roosters one hen only drinks water only and yogurt I had him since a hatchling could he be sick

I believe that roosters crow to stake out breeding territory, attract hens, and to dissuade other roosters from taking up residence.

Roosters DO NOT crow to remind humans who neglected to set their alarm clock that it is time to get up. The normal time for the mating season of Chickens is in the Spring. Remember Spring is associated with baby chickens for a reason. It could be that the peak of his desire has passed and your rooster is more laid back and chilled out at this time of year. I once kept 100s of grown or adult roosters and have friends who keep 1000s. You can almost do without a calendar by keeping up with the frequency of crows, especially during the middle of the day.

Two of my roosters who were brother, would crow in unison. The sons of my head rooster, one crows, one does not crow. Puffles looks like his grandpa, who was a black silkie, he is not as poofy as his grandpa. He grandpa crowed, Puffles is 2 years old, and attempted to crow about a year ago, now he just roams the yard with his brother.
No Name has never stopped crowing, and is a very sweet rooster. No Name is Puffles brother, but the only thing they have in common, is their feathered feet and large waddles.

I have 2 - 2 1/2 month old chicks that look like they are going to be roosters, tall and big sturdy feet, no waddles yet. They have the poofy head like their silkey grandpa, their Mothers are Easter Eggers. So I keep waiting for the beginnings of crowing in the next few weeks.

Back
Top Bottom