Rooster: Strange behavior?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Sgsf, May 29, 2010.

1. Sgsf

Sgsf Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2010
    For some reason, our Rooster has been attacking the other hens (I believe every single one). I don't know why, they are all full grown, even the Rooster. He's biting them on the neck and like putting their head on the grown. Why is this?

2. Falcon61

Falcon61 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Submit. Roosters making them behave and realize he is the master. They dont want to submit to him. They will.

3. Sgsf

May 4, 2010
    Oh, ok. Usually we thought he was hurting them, so we got him away from them. So I should just let it happen?

4. Falcon61

May 5, 2010
    He is hurting them. If your not breeding to hatch you could leave him out. If he's young, hes still learning too. But, yes ingenerl he should be fine with them once they get there peeking order down. He'll be the one at the top. His job is to protect the and there job is to do as he says when he says.

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Sounds like mating to me. IMO, it's best to just walk away and let it happen. It's natural for them and it doesn't bother the hens as much as it does us to watch.
    If he isn't drawing blood, then I'd let them sort it out.

6. Sgsf

May 4, 2010
    Alright, thanks for the information! [​IMG]

7. Falcon61

May 5, 2010
    Once they've got it strait, he'll say something to them, jump on, do his thing and jump off. no problem.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by