Rooster suddenly wants to attack me I guess..

I have a Rooster who is aggressive. He is a year old and has marked my legs with scabs and bruises. I know if I got rid of him, he would be dead. I have trained him enough where he lets me pick him up, cuddles me, and is my baby boy. He still tries to fight me every day but he gets the V neck (doesn't hurt him, it shows that I'm the boss).

Is it normal for a rooster to suddenly want to attack you? One of my rooster I have been raising it since the day it hatched. I'm always with him but he suddenly was skittering sideways to get closer to me, and when he sees us he will start peaking at our foot. He is always lonely doesn't really hang out with other chickens. What made him suddenly attack me? can I stop it and bring him to be my friend again? :(
Mine will do the mating dance toward me and race and grab my foot as if my foot were a hen (but the ladies needed a break so the roosters are separated from the hens at the moment, so I understand his frustration). This video helped but they still test me from time to time:

My roosters will also bring me leaves, bugs, anything they would normally bring a hen... 😅

he is turning 6 months :D
Yep. He's going through puberty. He may be flirting, or he may be trying to warn you off. As long as he's not actively trying to harm you, ignoring him is the best way to go
Mine will be a year old next month, and they've been doing the flirting thing for quite a while now. When they do, I always, even if I wasn't going that direction to start with, walk right toward them or pick them up and give them a pet. If I walk away / ignore / back off I was afraid they might get the idea that I'm scared of them and start getting aggressive toward me. Therefore, I always approach them to show I'm not backing down. So far, so good!

I have a Rooster who is aggressive. He is a year old and has marked my legs with scabs and bruises. I know if I got rid of him, he would be dead. I have trained him enough where he lets me pick him up, cuddles me, and is my baby boy. He still tries to fight me every day but he gets the V neck (doesn't hurt him, it shows that I'm the boss).
I might try doing that :thumbsup

Unless you have a docile breed you should assume they'll be aggressive unless they're raised as pets.They're much more likely to attack you when you gather eggs or pick up the hens.

Babies don't attack you every day or leave cuts and bruises all over you for no reason. What you're describing is not tolerated by most backyard chicken owners because they give roosters a bad name.If he doesn't mellow out soon you need to replace him with a better rooster regardless what you do with him afterwards.I hope for both your sake he's never around children because he's not to be trusted.

Babies don't attack you every day or leave cuts and bruises all over you for no reason. What you're describing is not tolerated by most backyard chicken owners because they give roosters a bad name.If he doesn't mellow out soon you need to replace him with a better rooster regardless what you do with him afterwards.I hope for both your sake he's never around children because he's not to be trusted.
Oh I know, hes not allowed near children. We don't really have children in the family. just older kids that don't go near him as he is not let out when the family is over. He's okay with the hens and does his job to protect him. He is nice some days. He's gone a couple of days not attacking me. If he does I get mad and he senses that. when I'm calm about it he stops.

Mine will do the mating dance toward me and race and grab my foot as if my foot were a hen (but the ladies needed a break so the roosters are separated from the hens at the moment, so I understand his frustration). This video helped but they still test me from time to time:

My roosters will also bring me leaves, bugs, anything they would normally bring a hen...

Oh I know, hes not allowed near children. We don't really have children in the family. just older kids that don't go near him as he is not let out when the family is over. He's okay with the hens and does his job to protect him. He is nice some days. He's gone a couple of days not attacking me. If he does I get mad and he senses that. when I'm calm about it he stops.
It might be a good idea to get yourself a good pair of gloves to protect yourself .At least you could pick him up without getting hurt.

It might be a good idea to get yourself a good pair of gloves to protect yourself .At least you could pick him up without getting hurt.
We got welding gloves but he HATED them. it made it worse. I try not to handle him with no gloves and sleeves. When I am handling him I have thin winter gloevs on and sleeves. qif he tries to bite he gets the glove and just is holding onto the glove and not my hand.

Back
Top Bottom