Rooster survived a 3 dog attack. Help!

HeiHeisMom

Songster
Apr 13, 2018
Goliad, Texas
If there's a vet close to you, I would get a systemic (not topical) antibiotic and a painreliever like Meloxicam. If you can't afford a vet visit, a lot of farm animal vets are pretty good at giving out limited prescriptions for livestock...especially if they know you. I'm glad he is surviving. For Clyde--have you tried putting a big dog crate out where he is with special treats and food inside? I would put a small branch inside the crate so he feels really safe. Then you just try and sneak up on it and close the door.
Thank you. I'll try that.
I usually just call him and he comes right up to me. I call him and he answers or plays peek a boo through grass with me.

mowgli

Songster
Oct 9, 2012
Tennessee
I am so so sorry this happened to you. I hope you are able to get rid of those dogs and save your rooster. Six years ago a neighbors three dogs broke into my pen and killed all 23 chickens inside, just for sport.I have no sympathy for dogs that do that. They literally pulled the wood off the house to get to them. Its a horrible thing to go through.

aart

Chicken Juggler!
Premium Feather Member
Nov 27, 2012
SW Michigan
My Coop
He's in a substantial pain and I want to know if I can give him Tylenol for pain. I know it would be just a little bit, but does anyone have an idea how much, how often?
I think aspirin is a better choice....
@azygous or @Wyorp Rock or @Eggcessive would know the dosage.

Is the muscle gone from his back between his wings or just the skin peeled off?

Eggcessive

Enabler
Premium Feather Member
Apr 3, 2011
southern Ohio
Never give Tylenol or acetaminophen to a chicken—it is toxic. Aspirin 81 mg low dose tablet can be given once or twice a day orally or hidden in some food. Vetericyn or saline is very good to clean the wound twice a day, and then keep it coated and moist with plain Neosporin or Triple Antibiotic Ointment twice a day. I hope he recovers.

HeiHeisMom

Songster
Apr 13, 2018
Goliad, Texas

Skin and
I am so so sorry this happened to you. I hope you are able to get rid of those dogs and save your rooster. Six years ago a neighbors three dogs broke into my pen and killed all 23 chickens inside, just for sport.I have no sympathy for dogs that do that. They literally pulled the wood off the house to get to them. Its a horrible thing to go through.
OMGosh! That's exactly what these did. Tore the framing up on door and busted door in
That's what these assholes did on day two. The first attack they climbed the wire and broke through the top of the main coop.
They grabbed our broody right of her nest.
They're people who should never own dogs for the fact they get tired of dealing with them and throw them out on the street.
We live at the edge of a small town on a ranch, and people are always disposing of animals around us.

HeiHeisMom

Songster
Apr 13, 2018
Goliad, Texas

Mostly skin, but some muscle. He can lift wings part way but can't control putting them down.
Poor guy actually waters at nose and eyes if he gets startled and lifts his wings. Most pitiful cry..

Aunt Angus

Free Ranging
Jul 16, 2018
Nevada County, CA
Just FYI - I read a post recently where a hen who had a huge gaping flesh wound healed up fine. I will search for the thread and post a link here once I do. Good luck! He's a beautiful boy... and a GOOD boy. I sure hope he recovers. Poor guy...

UPDATE: This isn't the one I read the other day, but it's similar: Really Bad Wound

Last edited:

Top Bottom