Rooster Tail Bleeding & Feathers missing, hens won't stop pecking at it, How can I get him to heal?

Since, he is black the purple feathers might look cool, I think the purple feathers are worth it tough, I have had great success with Blue Kote and will continue to use it. Good luck, Avery
I’ve used blue kote on many birds too. Yes it works great. I would just be careful not to get it all over the newer feathers.

Well good thing it’s not your rooster that’s hurt then huh.
I have treated plenty of chickens and am just saying that I have never used it and I just wanted to suggest using antibacterial spray, since I have had GREAT success with it. I am glad you have had success with pine tar, and I do think it is a good idea as an addition to treating with antibacterial products. Thanks for the additional info!:D Avery

I have treated plenty of chickens and am just saying that I have never used it and I just wanted to suggest using antibacterial spray, since I have had GREAT success with it. I am glad you have had success with pine tar, and I do think it is a good idea as an addition to treating with antibacterial products. Thanks for the additional info!:D Avery
No problem. Certain products are marketed to the BYC crowd at a huge markup. Some people like to play doctor while others want solutions. The pine tar will help heal and prevent the hens from pecking in one step. The OP can always just use the blue kote and then after it dries coat the affected area with pine tar to prevent the hens from continually destroying his back end. Pine tar tastes terrible and works much better than the pick no more stuff. I’ve watched hens peck right through that stuff. I’ve used it all and am just recommending what actually works not what’s been said a million times on this forum.

I do not have any of either. It would be tomorrow before I could acquire some. 😔
I hope you find everything you need to help you pretty roo! Vetrycin, Blue Kote, Pick no more, and Pine tar are all great products, and things to use, to help him! You are doing great! Hope you find all the information here helpful, these are all great members, with good information! Sorry about the comments on what products are best! :D Keep up up the good work, Avery

Just remember - chickens are vampires and scabs are crunchy little blood cookies - so I would keep him separated until the wounds close up and the scabs are gone. I've watched chickens eat scabs covered with blue kote to get the wound to bleed again for more blood.

Just remember - chickens are vampires and scabs are crunchy little blood cookies - so I would keep him separated until the wounds close up and the scabs are gone. I've watched chickens eat scabs covered with blue kote to get the wound to bleed again for more blood.
Ohh! That is terrible! I knew chickens would peck wounds, but I guess I just though of it a bullying, not eating the blood! That is gruesome! 😈🐔

Back
Top Bottom