Rooster tries to attack husband

I will have to try harder with my dominate roo, he is only aggressive with me, not the kids, or the gals. I have been putting him in lockdown when he gets to bad, and he as well as the flock does not like the fish net. I also run him out of the feed and stand between him and the food letting the girls have at it. I have other roos but only put one over the girls at a time. This guy is currently in lockdown,,,

Beekissed article is excellent, but not all aggressive roosters are smart enough to reform, and cockerels that never need to be reformed are the best ones to keep!
I don't hand feed or make pets out of my cockerels; they are expected to get out of my way, and not have any bad thought aimed at me. I will try to correct a bird, maybe twice, but after that he's headed for 'freezer camp'.
Good boys are wonderful, but the others are just extra stress for you and the flock.
Having children, or other visitors, raises the need to have only polite roosters to the max.
Mary

Beekissed article is excellent, but not all aggressive roosters are smart enough to reform, and cockerels that never need to be reformed are the best ones to keep!
I don't hand feed or make pets out of my cockerels; they are expected to get out of my way, and not have any bad thought aimed at me. I will try to correct a bird, maybe twice, but after that he's headed for 'freezer camp'.
Good boys are wonderful, but the others are just extra stress for you and the flock.
Having children, or other visitors, raises the need to have only polite roosters to the max.
Mary
I agree, 100%. Since I have stopped handling my cockerels and moving about like I own the place... oh, wait - I DO own the place! Since I have started from the moment I know they are cockerels making them get out of my way, walking through them, not backing up if one does feel the need to try to challenge me, I have not had to try to "reform" a rooster.

This is redundant at this point, but here is a link anyway to my take on interactions with aggressive cocks. It's very close to Beekissed's way with few modifications. Just something more to read if you want. #127

I have had cockerels that just didn't get it! There's a genetic component to this behavior, it's not all about management. I had a hatchery bantam boy a few years ago who started attacking at eight weeks of age! It was kind of funny, but not good. He had a one track mind, and never reformed. Useless!
Mary

Back
Top Bottom