Rooster upper beak problem

Paraf

Hatching
10 Years
Nov 21, 2009
Hogsback
Hi
Looking for guidance - Pete our rooster was in a fight a couple of months ago. While I did not notice any beak damage at the time, his upper beak has been growing and is now a problem (maybe the lower beak was cut in the fight). I would guess that when both parts are normal length they wear each other evenly. He is now starting to battle to eat his grains.
Any suggestions? Do I cut the upper beak? if so how much. Will it be painful for him?
Any help much appreciated.
Andre

Parrots have the same problem sometimes. you can either use a file or nail clippers (dog/bird) on it and just take about a 1/4 inch off at once wait a day or two, then repeat if necessary. Please be sure to have something to stop bleeding in case you cut to far too soon( flour, Stop Quick). If you choose not to trim his beak, the rooster may starve to death due to being unable to eat, or it could grow underneath and into his throat.

Last edited:
Also, as you trim and especially after, provide a surface in the coop and run suitable for him to self-trim: granite rock, cinder block, patio block...though I admit some birds are less likely to use them. Still, it reassures that he has the abilty to self-trim by friction whether he uses it or not.
cool.png

thumbsup.gif

Thank you for the replies - my only rooster now has a trimmed beak and is much happier. Will probably do a little more in a few weeks.

Back
Top Bottom