Rooster vs Hen during molt

Aug 7, 2020
My usually calm d'uccle rooster has been overly amorous this summer and my hen squared up with him. She's the dominant hen and will fight roos or hens if provoked enough when she molts... but she's been really calm... until I walked into the coop this morning greeted by a loud rooster and an extremely pissed off, half bald hen. She's not in shock, not bleeding, and I've isolated her and will be doing so until until she finishes her molt. I've got pick no more and if I should use it or not since she's isolated from the rest of the flock. Advice??

Unless she is being pecked, I would not use the BluKote. I would be more inclined to separate Mr. Rooster in a dog crate with food and water inside the run, instead of separating the hen. Are the others molting as well? It is common for molting birds to be aloof, eat less, and rest a lot.

Unless she is being pecked, I would not use the BluKote. I would be more inclined to separate Mr. Rooster in a dog crate with food and water inside the run, instead of separating the hen. Are the others molting as well? It is common for molting birds to be aloof, eat less, and rest a lot.
No. She's always the last to molt and my roo isn't going after any other hens. She's got adequate room for food and water, we've always had provisions in case someone needs to be moved. She's got pin feathers still and is hand raised. Grabbing my roo is slightly difficult without completely stressing him out. She's fought before with my hens during her molt, but this year has been weird. We had a tornado and all of our animals have been slightly off since (not just the chickens).

Update: Kept her isolated and she's resting and eating/drinking normally. Amorous rooster has not done anything to other hens.

Back
Top Bottom