Rooster War

bcooper4

Chirping
5 Years
Aug 7, 2018
I have a beautiful 4yo white cochin roo who is the perfect gentleman to me and to his ladies. He takes treats from my hand and gives them to his girls. The girls are a combo of wyandotte, polish. barred rock and an occasional frizzle plus some blue sapphire. His largest bunch was about 8 hens and after a couple departed (see House Chicken) my daughter ordered 12 babies consisting of ee and maran to get some color diversity. I kept 6 and raised them with my established flock. No problems even though one of the guaranteed hens turned out to be a ee roo. They kept to themselves as a flock but never had any problems. They started laying a couple of months ago and Daffodil the roo had his own flock and peace reigned until I went out yesterday at treat time and discovered that Roo was still in the roost area, On exam he is very beaten up mostly around his head and comb and i do believe one eye might be gone. I am home treating with neosporin and isolation with water, cat food for protein, fruit etc. My question is if he survives will he ever be able to rejoin his girls or will the young upstart attack again. They are both very nice roosters and I know the fate of unwanted birds so I would really like to reestablish harmony. Suggestions please.

First...are you fairly certain it was the young roo that attacked the older Cochin and not some predator. (Have to ask).

Assuming the only logical conclusion is the younger roo, then no, they won't likely live in harmony after this much blood shed. When the older rooster begins to slow, a younger junior can seize his opportunity to rise to the top. Usually the fray is fairly harmless, but this was deadly.

I had a similar situation in my Barnvelder line (super sweet older grandpa Barnie with son). I had to put grandpa with my slow, gentle bantam Cochins to let him live his days out in peace.

Sometimes once pecking order is established, the younger roo chills, but I find that once the violence starts, they may not let it rest. Some roosters will live harmoniously together all their days, others, especially a junior with an aging senior, will make sure the senior is completely ostracized.

I'm sorry grandpa has been so brutally dethroned. It hurts to see that, but it is the "law of the coop."

Your younger roo appears to have quite the temper, so I would watch him to make sure his personality doesn't become aggressive with humans as well. Likely it will be just towards the senior roo, but you may wish to re-home (or better cull) the aggressive younger EE if he appears to grow in aggression.

LofMc

I think this will largely depend on the roosters themselves, the amount of space you have, how the space is set up and a huge dose of luck.

Roosters really do not understand about my flock and his flock but rather, would like all of them. If the older rooster is willing to take second place, it might work. If not, a lot more fighting is in the future unless you get rid of the younger rooster.

Easy solution is to pick the best rooster, and let the other go. I would not expect this to work well long term.

Mrs K

I think this will largely depend on the roosters themselves, the amount of space you have, how the space is set up and a huge dose of luck.

Roosters really do not understand about my flock and his flock but rather, would like all of them. If the older rooster is willing to take second place, it might work. If not, a lot more fighting is in the future unless you get rid of the younger rooster.

Easy solution is to pick the best rooster, and let the other go. I would not expect this to work well long term.

Mrs K
I agree, I had a similar incident letting the son of my rooster stay with the flock. But one day he decided to challenge his dad and boy was it a bloody mess. Caught me off guard, I went down to check on the flock and saw the dad coward in a corner, blood all over him. I freaked out and grabbed him to the bathroom to wash him and apply first aid. I seriously thought he was going to die.

I went downstairs later that day to check on the son, his chest and face had dried blood. And was hanging in there. I made the decision to cull him that night. I didn't want to go through that again.

Plus the dad is worth saving. The day that he no longer is with me is when I'll replace him with another of his sons.

BTW, lesson learned.

I too have an old roo ostracised by his son, but the fight for dominance was not so damaging, I have multiple coops, and they are not confined, so both have been able to continue to live here, with just an occasional chase. I keep an eye out for the old boy and ensure he gets food daily, but I'm retired and have the time and space needed for this sort of arrangement; I know it wouldn't work for most.

Thanks for what I really don't want to consider. The strange thing is they were fine together until suddenly they weren't. They ate together, roosted together, came for treats together and although there was minimal mingling, Roo2 was definitely alpha and allowed Daffodil to have his little flock etc as long as he didn't approach any of his girls. He is up and walking and I was physically unable to get him out of the kennel to treat him again but he seems to be mending. I do believe it will be a week or longer to see if he survives and that is when I might have to make some sad decisions. I am not a culler so that is not an option. One step at a time.

My heart is with the older guy but Daffodil will actually come to the back door and knock until I open up if I am running late filling the feeders. I do have snuggly chickens but did not try to turn either roo into a lap pet so it will be very difficult to choose. Trying to envision a chicken wire divider with its own coop for the newbies. Still a long way to go before I am confident Roo will bounce back. I do appreciate the input.

Back
Top Bottom