Rooster - When is optimal time in the morning to let him out of the coop into the pen?

Collars are hazardous. I think a seperate coop where you put the rooster in after sunset is a better solution for the rooster because his crowing is no problem during the day. Just let him free in the morning at a convenient time after the girls are awake.

I know someone who had 2-3 roosters in a special coop and she said it works great. Because you’re rooster will be alone in that rooster-coop it needs less ventilation (pipes low and high, no direct sunlight) , you can use noise isolation and make it quit dark.

Rooster cage with pictures
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...-mean-to-each-other.75974/#ams-comment-515308
Everything's hazardous you just have to know what your doing. Mines wore collars for years with zero problems or you can go out spend alot of money put more cages out and not fix the problem. And I guess you have first hand knowledge of collars since you know for a fact their hazardous. Which one were you using when you started having problems with it?

Last edited:
Maybe let me ask the question the other way around- let’s say I turn on the light at 5:30 am when my rooster starts to crow for a new day, and open the door... how much impact to the hens as they seem to prefer some more sleep? I saw that he tried to push them off the roost to get them wake up....

I had a rooster in town.

One neighbor liked the crowing because he'd grown up on a farm. He brought his grandchildren over to see my chickens.

The other neighbor figured that they didn't mind our rooster if we didn't mind their muscle car.

:D
My goodness you have described my neighbors exactly.

I think we were all worried about your neighbors... when you are worried about your hens. No need to worry about your hens. They are used to him. Do not turn on the light until you are good and ready. Just because he is crowing he does not need light.

Last night, I was checking heifers at 2:00 and 4:00 am, not a glimmer in the eastern sky... and I heard mine crowing.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom