Rooster will not stay away from the road

He has cabbage and tomatos hanging from a rope at all times - he has about 1,000 pounds of pumpkins to chew on in the bottom of his run and many other things to play with - his run is about a 1/2 acre. I just don't see why he needs to get out everyday - also he has roosts outside he can roost on

Our boys and girls go in the street to get rocks. I sweep the street at times into the yard so they can eat. You can also buy bag pebbles for them. I also give more food during the day because the frost killed vegetation but give it in varying times to keep them close.

I don't actually hit him with it - it just scares him down
Using a stick or broom to discipline a rooster is a common aid among flock keepers who are fearful of direct interaction with a rooster. It's like trying to discipline a child by showing them a belt. (This was my dad's method.) Like small children being more focused on the threat of being hit by a belt than by what the parent is trying to teach, so is a rooster focused on the stick or broom as a potential threat. This detracts from the lesson you wish to teach your rooster that you are the dominate being in this equation. The rooster learns that the stick is the dominate being, not you. It's a very, very common mistake people make when trying to train a rooster.

Your goal in training a rooster is to have a relationship of mutual respect with him. He can't have that with you if you're shaking a stick at him. It confuses and detracts and distracts, making things needlessly complicated. Roosters are smart creatures, but these extra props do not make it easier for him to learn what he needs to learn.

Clip his wings and see if it helps. If not butterfly netting set up where he likes to fly over will deter him. You can use L shaped hinges and net to make a sorta canopy if that makes sense it’s super cheap.I’ve found that chickens are naturally curious so he might be leaving on an adventure. I have a chicken that tries to get in my house all the time. She has flown through the open window before and I just think it’s curiosity. Wish you luck!

Just an update, Diego was hit by a car. He had no beak, a whole bunch of feathers missing, and he was very sore. He is okay now but we will be butching him soon.

Back
Top Bottom