Rooster will not stay away from the road

GirlsHuntToo

Professional Chicken Chaser
Jul 18, 2023
The Keystone State
I have been having trouble with my rooster Diego. He loves to go up by the road and he goes across the road too. Of course, he takes his girlfriends with him. lol :gigJust yesterday he almost got Zebra and Yukie run over by a grain truck. He just will not stop for anything. I have a stick right by the front door. Every time he goes up there, I go up and smack him with the stick. Give him three minutes and he will be right back up there again. With Nellie, Zebra, Casey, Cuddles, Yukie, and Zebra.
So my question is - How do I get him to stop!?

Any idea as to why he wants to cross the road? Especially good foraging there? The only thing that may stop him is a pen or fence.
No just the neighbors grass and their is nothing special about that. It's just like the grass in his chicken run and in my own yard. He only goes up there on rainy days so I'm thinking maybe worms and bugs??
unfortunately the only way to keep them in or out of an area is a fence
I do have a fence! He jumps the 8 foot fence with no problem at all and the girls are ducking under somewhere - I'm still trying to find where that somewhere is! 🤔
Thanks for your help guys!!

As animal owners, one of our responsibilities is to keep our animals at home, not have them visit the neighbor's. Fencing, a secure run, and clipping those wing feathers, all good suggestions. We have lovely near neighbors, who absolutely do not want our chickens on their property. We've fixed the fence between ours and theirs, and have many better areas for our flock when they free range.
Mary

Back
Top Bottom