Rooster with badly swollen foot

Quote:
Thanks so much , we're going to try to help him today , im getting the stuff ready. Well , we're gonna clean his foot off , and soak it in salt water , and then peal the scab off and clean the gunk out and get the ball out. Then we're going to soak it in the salt water again and then put lambs tallow in the hole , and wrap it up. Hope all goes well.

I just got done with his foot. I cleaned his foot , soaked it in warm salt water , then i picked off the scab at the bottom of his foot , and no hole was there , it was only skin. So , i decided to pick off the scab on the top of his foot , and no gunk , puss or blood came out, and i didn't see the ball or plug that is supposed to be in there. I was clueless , and i didn't know what to do , so soaked his foot again in the salt water , like the page said , put some lambs tallow in the hole and covered his one toe up with vet wrap. I'm afraid that it might not be bumble foot , and i don't know what to do. I don't know any other disease it might be , all his signs lead to it , except the bad swelling. His foot is so swelled up that you cant poke his skin in. I'm treating his legs with vaseline for the scaley leg mites. I'll keep treating him with vaseline and soaking his foot , and putting lambs tallow in the hole , and see if it gets better. The main thing is to reduce the swelling so he can walk. Anyone have any ideas?

Last edited:
This is a link to an article on Herbs for health that you might be able to use. It is for breeding hens, but can also be useful for any chicken. They do give some herbs that have antibiotic properties. http://www.backyardpoultrymag.com/issues/5/5-2/herbs_for_spring_eggs_and_breeding.html

ETA
: In the chicken Health Handbook by Gail Damerow it does say scaley leg mites can cause lameness. Not sure about the swelling, it could be a few different things, might be mites. See if you can get some of those herbs that have antibiotic properties.

Last edited:
I'm guessing he injured his toe, and the swelling is from the injury/infection. Perhaps some antibiotics in his water, now that you've tended his foot, and keep him in a kennel or cage where he can't jump around an re-injure it.

Sometimes the scaley leg can cause infection. Check his knees too. I wonder if it would be best right now to just go after the scaley leg first and at the same time give him a round of some antibiotics. Then see where you're at. I'd suggest giving him a bath with Adams Flea and Tick Plus Shampoo. Start at the top of the neck and work your way down. Soap the legs up good. Get him nice and clean and then get some of that Scarlet Oil and spray it on his legs. The Scarlet Oil I get doesn't come with a spray nozzle so the gal at the Farm Supply provided it (she's the one who turned me on to Scarlet Oil). Spray the whole leg and foot top and bottom. It is an antiseptic and it also kills the mites.

Actually you know, when I look at that foot I just see a bad case of scaley leg, just like an old hen I had did. I didn't know about scaley leg until the last couple years. Anyway, it looks identical from what I can see.

Quote:
I checked the top of his legs , and they're red and really sore looking. There was some scabs too. I'm treating him with vaseline for the scaley leg mites. I'm going to put some more vaseline on them tomorrow and so on. I'm praying that it will get better , and he can walk and enjoy life as normal again. I should take a picture of him for guys tomorrow. I might do a double dose , and soak his feet in some oil , too. I know for sure that our flock of chickens had chicken lice.

Back
Top Bottom