Rooster with badly swollen foot

I'm hoping your found and treat it in time. I had a rooster that had those scabs on the top of his legs real bad. I didn't realize it for a long time all I noticed was a little redness. The scabs were further up. Anyway, I was rather confused. I tried to do the bumblefoot treatment on those scabs. There were the plugs in there but the infection went into the tendons and bone. It kept recurring and he slowly went lame. Evenutally, I had to put him down. I battled and battled that. Never ran across anyone here who had that. Anyway, I didn't know what scaley leg was until a couple years ago. I think you said something about the way he lifted his legs? Mine did that too. Kind of 'bicycled.' I thought maybe it was his spurs getting in the way. I'd cut them and he still did it. Didn't know what to think. Tard? Anyway, he did live until eight years but I wish I'd cared for him better. I just didn't know.

Bumblefoot will kill them or lead to dispatching them, it is a staph infection. Just because the plug was not visible does not mean it is not there. Sometimes you have to dig to find it and there are also times that you end up with a hole all the way through soft spots. Dig around under those scabs good, it could be very small and hard or soft. If the foot bleeds fresh blood a bit, that is jot a bad thing. Use Epson salt soaks Oj warm water and triple antibiotic ointment without pain reliever.

Good luck with your boy.

Quote:
I've heard that the plug was right under the scab , that's why i stopped. I didn't have the guts to dig any farther. Are you sure this is bumblefoot , and it will kill him if i dont find the plug?

Last edited:
Quote:
I didnt know bumblefoot could go up that high. I thought it might be just a badder case of scaley leg mites , are you positive of this? Its way up , almost to his belly.

Quote:
I didnt know bumblefoot could go up that high. I thought it might be just a badder case of scaley leg mites , are you positive of this? Its way up , almost to his belly.

I'm not convinced that it's bumble foot. You can get infections from scaly leg mites which is what I'm thinking you have with your boy.

I was hoping dawg53 would see this post and comment.. you might want to message him, he has tons of great advice about leg mites and bumble foot.

Quote:

I'm not saying it's bumblefoot but I tried to treat it like bumblefoot because it looked like a staff infection just like a bumblefoot (scab over staph). At the time, I couldn't find any threads here with scabs on the knees like that. I believe it was caused by the untreated scaley leg mites definitely. It might be good for folks to see a picture of the knee if you can get one so you can get more feedback. I don't know how bad your guy is but I'd pursue the scaley mite angle.

With my guy, I soaked, removed the scabs and then pulled out the staph cores. I'm not sure what went wrong. I'd clean the wounds, pack with neosporine and then wrap with that stretch wrap bandaging. I gave antibiotics too. I did this several times but the scabs kept coming back. The last time I did it I used neosporine with the pain reliever in it and maybe that wasn't a good idea. Maybe I didn't keep it packed and wrapped long enough nor give antibiotic long enough after each procedure.

At any rate he became progressively more lame until he couldn't walk at all. Remember, it started out with the 'bicycling'. It seems like the bicycling thing went on for a year or two (starting out mildly then getting more and more pronounced) before I realized what the problem was.

I'd be curious if anyone else here ever had this happen and find out what they did to remedy it.

Last edited:
Quote:

I'm not convinced that it's bumble foot. You can get infections from scaly leg mites which is what I'm thinking you have with your boy.

I was hoping dawg53 would see this post and comment.. you might want to message him, he has tons of great advice about leg mites and bumble foot.

++

By the way, the first time I treated my roo, it seems like the treatment might be working so don't lose hope. It might be that help arrived for him too late or that I wasn't thorough enough in my first round treatment.

Quote:

I'm not saying it's bumblefoot but I tried to treat it like bumblefoot because it looked like a staff infection just like a bumblefoot (scab over staph). At the time, I couldn't find any threads here with scabs on the knees like that. I believe it was caused by the untreated scaley leg mites definitely. It might be good for folks to see a picture of the knee if you can get one so you can get more feedback. I don't know how bad your guy is but I'd pursue the scaley mite angle.

With my guy, I soaked, removed the scabs and then pulled out the staph cores. I'm not sure what went wrong. I'd clean the wounds, pack with neosporine and then wrap with that stretch wrap bandaging. I gave antibiotics too. I did this several times but the scabs kept coming back. The last time I did it I used neosporine with the pain reliever in it and maybe that wasn't a good idea. Maybe I didn't keep it packed and wrapped long enough nor give antibiotic long enough after each procedure.

At any rate he became progressively more lame until he couldn't walk at all. Remember, it started out with the 'bicycling'. It seems like the bicycling thing went on for a year or two (starting out mildly then getting more and more pronounced) before I realized what the problem was.

I'd be curious if anyone else here ever had this happen and find out what they did to remedy it.

What is staph cores , and did your rooster die? I'm getting really concerned , because his strutting walk has been going on quite awhile now. When his foot swelled up he just stayed in the chicken pen and coop all day. But now hes getting out and hopping around , i was happy to see him walking around. I'll try to take some pictures of his foot tomorrow , or the next day. Tomorrow is my birthday , but ill try to make time to take some pictures. Some girls are coming over and we're going swimming and stuff.

Back
Top Bottom