Rooster with closed, swollen eye

Harun

Songster
Apr 10, 2021
My rooster got into a fight recently and his eye is swollen shut, won’t open up at all. I’m hoping this isn’t permanent, and seeing him with one open eye tugs at my altruism. Is there anything I can do to help. Is his swollen eye really a result of the fight he had? Here’s a picture:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    714.1 KB · Views: 40
Likely a fight wound since his comb indicates he's a brawler. It's probably infected. You need to wash it with saline or flush with lots of eye lubricant drops twice a day and use terramycin in it twice a day. You can get the terramycin at your feed store or on line.

Likely a fight wound since his comb indicates he's a brawler. It's probably infected. You need to wash it with saline or flush with lots of eye lubricant drops twice a day and use terramycin in it twice a day. You can get the terramycin at your feed store or on line.
Okay. Do I have to get his eye open to do this? If so, how would I open his eye without hurting him?

You need to wash it with saline or flush with lots of eye lubricant drops twice a day and use terramycin in it twice a day.
I have an Antimicrobial Eye Spray from Vetericyn, will that suffice?

Yes, you will need to gently pull down on his eye to open it, then flush generously with the saline, then put a dab of terramycin in the eye. Yes, it my be painful at first, but you aren't going to touch the eye except to put the ointment into on corner. Wear gloves so you aren't contaminating the eye or spreading around any bacteria.

It helps to wrap him securely in a towel to confine wings and feet.

Yes. Use that, and use it so that it floods the eye. You are wanting to flush away as much bacteria each time as possible, thinning the crowd, so to speak.

Yes. Use that, and use it so that it floods the eye. You are wanting to flush away as much bacteria each time as possible, thinning the crowd, so to speak.
How many times might I spray in total?

So, I've been spraying his eye for about a week now, and he's slightly opening his eye every once in a while, and it seems to be almost all black. Is this a sign of infection? He's acting fine nonetheless. I just want to make sure.
Edit: his middle toe on his left foot also seems to be a bit swollen. Perhaps this was also from the fight he endured prior?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom