Rooster with eye pecked out?

Hello everyone. A few days ago, while cleaning one of my coops, my favorite rooster, Telemachus, walked in and I noticed his left eye was swollen shut. I picked him up and checked it out, and it was very swollen. I saw a scab by his eyelid, and thought it was sealing the eye shut and that I should let it heal. Yesterday, I checked on him and the eye was still the same. I checked out his eye again, and this time tried to open it because I thought it may be the solution. He seemed to be in a lot of pain, and from what I saw, in the eye socket was dark brown mush. I'm thinking he got his eye pecked out while fighting, since I have too many roosters and need to unload some. What do you guys think happened? Was his eye pecked out? Will it ever heal? What should I do to treat his injury and prevent pain? Sorry for all the questions, I just really want him to get better. :( I'm not sure if this matters, but he is acting somewhat normally aside from not having vision in his eye. Also, if pictures are needed I can try to get a few today during chores. Any and all advice is welcome. Thanks!
Hey! Sorry to hear about your roo... this exact scenario happened with my hen about a year ago..I think. She started to look very sick a few days after, so I started her on antibiotics, but before you do that with your rooster, I would highly suggest what I know actually helped my hen’s eye cavity heal- squirts of warm epsom salt water. I got a needle-less syringe and filled it up with warm water treated with Epsom salts. I didn’t actually squirt it in the cavity but rather ran it over her eye. I did this twice a day (outside as to not make a mess). This helped heal it up for her. I saw results almost right away, but then again, I had her on antibiotics too. She seemed to feel better after-..the pus and discharged lessened with each session. The syringe I used was a very large one-60cc or so. It wasn’t a small amount and I squirted with some force to get a bit in bad looking areas-corner of her eye. Do not use regular table salt! This would burn them. Epsom salt helps inflammation and clear infection. If he starts getting sick, then add antibiotics, but most healthy birds can heal up ok without them. I think with my hen, she was in so much pain from the swelling she stopped eating, and from there got sick. (She’s an old girl). Anyway, she’s absolutely fine now- just has one eye. She was sick for about a month though. It’s possible it was a rat that bit her, hence; infection.
I hope your roo heals up good. I do suggest a little help regarding his wound with the epsom salt rinses- just that one eye- not both. Be sure and use warm water too. Cold water will startle them more. Body temperature water is not as noticed, though Epsom might irritate them a bit.
Neosporin rubbed over the eye might be ok too.

Hello everyone. A few days ago, while cleaning one of my coops, my favorite rooster, Telemachus, walked in and I noticed his left eye was swollen shut. I picked him up and checked it out, and it was very swollen. I saw a scab by his eyelid, and thought it was sealing the eye shut and that I should let it heal. Yesterday, I checked on him and the eye was still the same. I checked out his eye again, and this time tried to open it because I thought it may be the solution. He seemed to be in a lot of pain, and from what I saw, in the eye socket was dark brown mush. I'm thinking he got his eye pecked out while fighting, since I have too many roosters and need to unload some. What do you guys think happened? Was his eye pecked out? Will it ever heal? What should I do to treat his injury and prevent pain? Sorry for all the questions, I just really want him to get better. :( I'm not sure if this matters, but he is acting somewhat normally aside from not having vision in his eye. Also, if pictures are needed I can try to get a few today during chores. Any and all advice is welcome. Thanks!
Any follow up on this. I have experienced something similar not sure what don't it 🤔 do you have any pictures?

Back
Top Bottom