Rooster with fairly large hole in foot

Juliewoot

Chirping
Jul 12, 2018
Hey guys. I've got a rooster I took in who had very large black scabs on both sides of his foot. Obviously infected. I gently got the scabs off and all the foul smelling gunk inside out. This hole is penny size through his entire foot, can see straight through. I've immediately started clavimox and vetprofen and have foot bandaged and wrapped with him now indoors to keep any bugs away. What if anything can I use to help eventually have this foot heal up and close,?

Pictures would be helpful. Epsom salts soaking in warm water once a day may be helpful. If you don’t have that, use Betadine or Chlorhexidene (Hibiclens.) When dry apply plain Neosporin or Triple Antibiotic Ointment and reapply a foot dressing. Don’t get the dressing too tight.

IMG_20190904_170000235.jpg
IMG_20190904_170000235.jpg
IMG_20190904_165917509.jpg
I'll get pics when I change dressing . Salt in open wound won't burn the Dickens out of it?

Attachments

• IMG_20190904_165930974.jpg
    IMG_20190904_165930974.jpg
    242.4 KB · Views: 4
You really need to get the wound clean and germ free. Ideally you should drop or spray Chlorhexedine in the hole and around the outside. Chlorhexedine needs to be left in contact with the wound for at least 20 seconds to be fully effective.
Once you are confident that the wound is clean you can if you have some apply an antibiotic cream to the wound.
The problem with foot bandages I've found is they don't stay on and they get very dirty very quickly. This means for a few days the rooster needs to be kept inside, or in a clean cage elsewhere.
With foot injuries here what I do is get them clean, leave the wound open to the air and confine the chicken when necessary to a pet carrier at night and in the house for the day.
Once confident that there is no infection I really want the chicken back with it's group as quickly as possible. They seem to recover better this way.
So, I pack the wounds with a pine tar. This seals the wound and keeps the dirt out and they rejoin their group more quickly.
Here's an article about using pine tar.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...s-and-injuries-with-stockholm-hoof-tar.74400/

I'm certain the wound is germ free right now and I change his bandaging often. I use sterile gauze and vet wrap. Started the oral antibiotics as precaution. I know it's a fairly mild one but it's what I have on hand until I can get some baytril for injection from my vet. I've not heard of pine tar so will def be reading the article you sent. He is indoors and will be until this has started healing. I won't risk any dirt getting in it but will take him outdoors in the soft grass while bandaged in order to get sunshine and fresh air

Back
Top Bottom