Rooster with infected Eye (WARNING Graphic Picture)

If he were mine I would give the enrofloxacin at 0.09ml per pound orally. Please, please, please, ignore the directions it came with... Give it orally, not in the water.

-Kathy

His eye is already looking slightly better. In the sense that it doesn't seem to be oozing as badly. That Neosporin really seems to be helping, I think the gel form soaking on his eye like that is helping nip whatever this is in the bud. I'll take another picture tonight when I bring him in to flush it out. I wasn't able to get anything off with the tweezers last night, but the flushing seems to be doing some good, so I'll continue that. If anything he SEEMS happier today. Out and about in the yard with his ladies, even though it was in the single digits this morning.

Thanks again for the advice. Anytime I have an issue I always know I have you guys to turn to!

The outside around the eye looked a little less 'juicy' but the inside seems like it's worse than yesterday. I tried to flush/soak it tonight and couldn't get anything out. Going to keep on the antibiotics and Neosporin.

Last edited:
Do you have any nurse or EMT friends? They usually have a lot of experience cleaning out wounds. It will involve wrapping him in a towel and held by an assistant to hold him still lying on his side so his head cannot move, then using QTips, tweezers, tissues, or gauze to get it out. Saline solution would be good to irrigate it. It can be kind of gross if you haven't done some wound care on animals before.

48f6c55a_1000947_969100_A_400.jpg

Last edited:
It's very gross, for sure. I have saline and have been using that to flush it out along with the Vetericyn Pink Eye liquid. He actually holds really still for me, the stuff in his eye, even after soaks in very warm water just won't budge. It's hard. Tweezers are the only thing that gave me a little success, guaze pads and q-tips did nothing. It's like it needs to be cut out with something sharp. I don't have any nurse or EMT friends, but that's a great idea!

I highly recommend you go to the vet. Please stop experimenting, so this poor bird can get some relief.
In a perfect world that would be the plan, sadly the vets I've called within 1 hour of my house only offer to put the bird down and that was just one of them. The others said they do not practice on poultry. I'd love nothing more to give this boy some relief and I'm doing my best, which is why I'm here. So far, I've received more help here than any vet I've called.

Back
Top Bottom