Rooster with infected Eye (WARNING Graphic Picture)

Alright, I nearly passed out and I'm pretty sure he could say the same BUT WE GOT IT OUT! That nail cuticle tool was the answer. The tweezers just kept slipping off and the scooping prying method was the answer. His eye is cloudy, I'm assuming that means he's blind, which I was expecting. We got 95% of the pus out, but we stopped for the night as I think we are both pretty traumatized. I pulled out a good amount, all together it could have made a marble. There is some flesh damage from pulling it out, but we can work on healing that up now.

Now, that it's cleaned out it's pretty clear to me that there had to be some injury at the corner of his eye. They free range so I really no idea what could have happened. Scrapped something, ran from something? Barn cat? (though they all seem to get along well) Anyways, it's a big baggy hole now. I filled it with Vetericyn Ophthalmic Gel and will pack it with neosporin again later. He also has one day of the oral antibiotics left. Do I just continue cleaning it once a day and the topical meds? I'm concerned that it's such a big open wound now. I can tell his eye is never going to heal back to normal, but as long as it heals over and he survives, that's my main concern!

Great job! I have never had to do that, and I'm sure that I would have been light-headed too. You could probably just use the Vetericyn eye gel 2-4 times a day. Neosporin or Terramycin ointment stays in the eye longer, and is only necessary 2 times a day, but I would keep flushing out the eye with saline a couple of times a day. It's sad that the eye is cloudy, but sometimes infection actually destroys the eye. I have one hen who was pecked in the eye, and it became cloudy too. Could you call your large animal vet friend, who could get you some Baytril to treat his eye? That one is the best for an infection in the eye.

Great job! I have never had to do that, and I'm sure that I would have been light-headed too. You could probably just use the Vetericyn eye gel 2-4 times a day. Neosporin or Terramycin ointment stays in the eye longer, and is only necessary 2 times a day, but I would keep flushing out the eye with saline a couple of times a day. It's sad that the eye is cloudy, but sometimes infection actually destroys the eye. I have one hen who was pecked in the eye, and it became cloudy too. Could you call your large animal vet friend, who could get you some Baytril to treat his eye? That one is the best for an infection in the eye.
Enrofloxacin is what I'm giving him orally, this is his 4th day. That's Baytril, correct? Or is there an ointment form of it I should try to get to go directly into his eye?

Yes, enrofloxacin is Baytril--perfect. Yes , I think there is a Baytril eye drop that also contains silver sulfadene. I would guess that it is very expensive as any prescription eye drops. Here is a link for it: http://www.drugs.com/vet/baytril-ot...azine-antibacterial-antimycotic-emulsion.html
One can get Cipro eye drops from Twin City Poultry:

Cipro eye drops:

Read this before using Baytril or Cipro:

-Kathy

I took an updated picture, but apparently my phone didn't actually TAKE it. Anyways,his eye is looking better than when we started, the puss just won't give up. I'm cleaning it out daily, using every eye drop/gel I can get my hands on, but he can't kick the initial infection.

Can I give him another round of enrofloxacin? It's been 4 days since he ended his last 5 day run. To be fair, I did not have nearly all the infection out when we started the first round and the first few days I probably didn't get the full dose in him as I was just learning how to get it down his throat properly. Is it safe to start another round of it so soon? He seemed to tolerate it well, minus a bit of runny poop.

Opinions? Should I put Doxy in his water as well?

I know it's been awhile, but I wanted to post an update. Thanks to all your help and guidance, my rooster is healed and he didnt even lose his vision. It was tedious, disgusting work but we got through it With the confidence you guys gave me to not give up on him. THANK YOU.

My rooster got in a fight with some other rooster and he now has white discharge and a white solid coating all over his eyes he cant see at all. I would like to get advise on how to remove that white coating and discharge.

Back
Top Bottom