Rooster with multiple sores on face

WOW! pretty teriffic improvement. Thanks for continuing to share his progress! He truly looks to be on the mend now.

I hope so! It's up and down. Big scab came off revealing two massive holes in his face that are most likely not going to close. I can't get a clear picture of it. I'm waiting for him to heal a bit more and then take him back to the vet to try looking into the holes and see where they go. Fingers crossed they go into his mouth/ throat and not up into the sinus. His spring hormones are kicking in already so he's not as docile taking his pills and getting injections. Roosters! :barnie

Ok not super clear but here it is. The scab came off again today so I got a look inside. A very slight amount has filled back in. Two very open holes. It's wet and oozey so I'm curious if any of it will dry out by morning. He's back to mounting the girls so... well... there's that at least.
20190115_200845.jpg

This is a SLOW recovery. Plus, doesn't help that Mr Hormonal here decided to attack another rooster through a fence and then caught himself in the barricade I put up to keep him *away* from the fence. Minor setback. A few scrapes here and there and a bruised ego. :he

Here's the latest. Looks like some tissue development but two gaping holes and exposed bone are probably going to be his new "signature look" :(

Better than dead though!

20190128_173518.jpg

This is a SLOW recovery. Plus, doesn't help that Mr Hormonal here decided to attack another rooster through a fence and then caught himself in the barricade I put up to keep him *away* from the fence. Minor setback. A few scrapes here and there and a bruised ego. :he

Here's the latest. Looks like some tissue development but two gaping holes and exposed bone are probably going to be his new "signature look" :(

Better than dead though!

View attachment 1656557
:love Glad to get an update! He's still handsome and apparently got a lot of life left in him too!

@Amelia Egghart has he been inside this whole time? or out with the rest of the flock. I'm really really impressed at his healing... and his very stoic look! thanks for posting the pics. It's great to see some amazing success stories!

@Amelia Egghart has he been inside this whole time? or out with the rest of the flock. I'm really really impressed at his healing... and his very stoic look! thanks for posting the pics. It's great to see some amazing success stories!

Thank you!

He had a checkup yesterday that went well. The vet was impressed with his recovery. I was instructed to increase application of betadine to encourage granulation tissue development, do 2-3 days of Amikacin injections and continue the baytril for another month. He still has infection but it's moved lower on his jaw in an area of more blood flow so hopefully this will nail it.

He is Derpy because he is deformed on one side so he's always slept in a crate in the house to keep him warm and comfortable. On days where he's been open and oozing I kept him inside but most days he's been out with his girls and only inside after dark.

Back
Top Bottom