1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rooster with swollen face and throat.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by luluvantuckett, Jan 9, 2016.

1. luluvantuckett

luluvantuckett Out Of The Brooder

Oct 1, 2014
    East Texas
    Three days ago I noticed my Cochin rooster's eye was swollen shut. I cleaned it with a q-tip and olive oil and gave him some ACV. He looked a little lethargic. The next day his eye was open and had gunk in the corner. He acted more energetic and ate and drank as usual. I cleaned it again and I noticed that half of his face and throat were super swollen. Today his eye looked even better and it had a bubbly liquid in the corner. I put antibiotic ointment on it and gave him a few drops of VetRX and some B12. His eye is looking much better and he is acting normal, but his face and throat are still very swollen and it seems the swelling may be making his beak shift over a tiny bit and the top and bottom aren't lining up. There never has been any bad oder. He does seem to have labored breathing but I wasn't sure if it's from the swelling.
    I'm not intimidated by performing surgery if need be if it is an impacted sinus cavity.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 9, 2016
  2. BantamNest

BantamNest Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2013
    Pictures would be really helpful. Is the swelling located around feathers, or just swollen?

3. luluvantuckett

luluvantuckett Out Of The Brooder

Oct 1, 2014
    East Texas

Ok I finally got pics up in the original post. I also added some info to the OT. It seems that it's just the face that's swollen and not so much a surface swelling around the feathers.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It looks and sounds possibly like mycoplasma gallisepticum. You can get him tested to be sure. Tylan 50 given orally or by injection would treat symptoms. Give 1 ml for every 5 pounds of weight twice a day for 5 days. MG usually causes them to be carriers for life.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by