Rooster with swollen toe?

wishiniwasfishin

Hatching
8 Years
Jan 9, 2012
Ok so I found this website after searching for swollen chicken foot, and found out about bumble foot, which is what I thought my rooster had, so I went out clean/soak his foot real well, and there is no scab but he has a really swollen toe (its 2x bigger then the rest) the nail is really thick and black, the rest are like regular nails, and white, so could he have broken the nail, and gotten it infected? I soaked it in Epson salts in really warm water and he seamed to like it, just hanging there with his foot in the tub no fighting or anything then when I was wiping and drying his foot when I would touch that toe and the little one next to it he would pull away. He's about 8-9years old free range, his nightly roost is about 3 1/2-4ft from the ground its like a 2x4 he sleeps on he has regular roosts but chooses that one. Over the past 2 days he has gotten really bad, limping and laying in the sun, he trys to get around but takes for ever to meet me for his breakfast, and tonight I went to get him and put in the garage and he was sleeping under a trailer in the leaves/hay. So I but him a box in the garage for nite.

Last year he battled what we think might have been frostbite, he chose to sleep on the tractor we didn't know this at first and he feet started turning black around the toes so we set up a cage with some hay and food/water and he only got free range again on warm sunny days. and after a week he was doing good again. But this year he is sleeping on wood, and it hasn't been really cold, but his swollen toe has me worried.

Could you try to post a picture it will help me give you a better answer.
smile.png

Its the 3rd toe from the outside, sorry the pictures aren't the best but in the last photo you can really see the toe nail.

Thanks for help!

Last edited:
Looks like it could be an infected toe. If you are interested in putting him on antibiotics, here are some links:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=75288
see what speckled hen recommends here

https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/poultry-podiatry
scroll down for treating bumblefoot

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=554991
see post #5

I hope some of this helps.

I once had a chicken with a swollen toe that she had injured on some fencing. The toenail was normal though so I am worried about the blackened area on your little guy. Sorry I have no other suggestions right now.

Last edited:
OK so I'm looking in what our local store carries antibiotic wise, but for now I've soaked, have him confined, I let him out for a bit doing the day in a small fence, he seems feistier when I pick him up. And I have his toe wrapped around the nail and all with neosporin and gauze, the toe nail seems loose and part way twisted I'm thinking he did a crash landing when getting down from his roost in the morning, he's a little clumsy.
roll.png
The top of the nail is colored like the rest but the underneath it where the blood vessel is it's black.

So the best thing my local store carries is Pen Aqueous 100ml, but its not the expensive, can I give this to him, if so how do you get the dosage, and I read the best inj site is the breast or thigh is this correct?

If the concentration is 300,000 iu then the dosage is <1/4 cc. The best sites are in the breast or thighs. Keep track of where you give it because you will need to rotate sites to prevent muscular damage.

Back
Top Bottom