Rooster with twisty neck

wagoncab

Songster
15 Years
May 15, 2008
Charlotte
Hi All;
I tried searching this topic first but didn't really find much. Maybe I was entering the wrong search criteria. Anyway....
I have an almost 3 yr old standard Cochin rooster who has gone downhill in the last week or two. He has developed
a twisty neck and seems to be quite off balance. He has been somewhat crippled since his first year. Something wrong
with a leg. It just would not bend either at the hip or thigh, I'm not sure but it never affected him getting around.
He used to sleep with some other chickens who started picking on him. They got kicked out and now sleep in another
coop. This problem seems to have started around the time he got picked on.
He is in a coop to himself except for a little Millie rooster who is his buddy and also gets picked on.
He is able to eat and drink on his own but is not getting around good at all. I have to help him get into the inside part
of the coop at night but he seems to manage to get out in the morning.
I have never seen this problem in a chicken before, He is able to straighten his neck out when he eats and drinks but
then it gets twisty again and he looks like he is looking at the sky.
"Chester" is a really sweet guy, Never bothered anybody and not a mean rooster. Advice please.

Thanks
Cindy

He may have wry neck (crook neck, torticolis, star gazing) but he also could have symptoms of Mareks disease. Has he been exposed to any new flock members in the last month? Wry neck is treated with decreased stimulation, vitamin E and selenium (found in egg, tuna, nuts, and meat.) Poultry Nutri-drench or Poultry Cell Vitamins can also treat this at 3 ml orally each day. Wry neck is just a neurological symptom which can be due to the vitamin deficiency, a head or neck injury, or due to a disease. Here is some reading:
http://www.browneggblueegg.com/Article/Crookneck/Crookneck.html
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/97121/lets-talk-wry-neck-crook-neck

Thank you for the reply:
No new flock members since early this year.
I am leaning toward an injury since this seems to have
started after he got picked on. The back of his head and comb
was bloody one morning. That's when I kicked out the others and
let him have the coop to himself.
I will go to Co-op and see what I can find in the way of some vitamins for him.
Thanks
Cindy

Use poly vi Sol without iron it's at the pharmacy in the infant section. I had a young rooster develop the wry neck his bent down like he was looking between his legs he looked like the headless chicken. It got to the point he couldn't eat or drink. The vitamins straightened him out in a couple weeks though he did still have a crook in his neck but managed to look forward and eat and drink like normal. I don't remember the exact dosage but if you search crook neck or wry neck on here it should be there somewhere.

Update:
Well he is still here. He is not any worse. I got him some chick starter which he really likes and I found
some vitamins that have Selenium and have put that in the water.
He is not getting around good and the bad leg does not help.
I sometimes have to help him get into the enclosed part of the coop at night.
The little Millie rooster snuggles up with him and they sleep together. Very cute.
Thanks
Cindy

Hi

This sounds very much like Marek's disease to me. The long term leg problem was most likely caused by the first attack of the disease and perhaps the stress of getting picked on has resulted in this second attack affecting his neck. I would say that you have been lucky for him to go so long between attacks.

It's good that he has a pal to keep him company as I have found that helps a lot rather than totally isolating them. If it is Marek's the vitamins may help too but otherwise just keep him as comfortable, happy and well fed as possible. Some people are trying human anti viral medicines on their Marek's affected birds... Marek's is caused by a Herpes type virus. It is extremely common and very easily spread as it can be wind bourn as well as carried on clothing, shoes and most likely, other seemingly healthy chickens. Some chickens are carriers but show no symptoms of the disease.

Good luck with him and the rest of your flock

Barbara

Update:
Well he is still here. He is not any worse. I got him some chick starter which he really likes and I found
some vitamins that have Selenium and have put that in the water.
He is not getting around good and the bad leg does not help.
I sometimes have to help him get into the enclosed part of the coop at night.
The little Millie rooster snuggles up with him and they sleep together. Very cute.
It is good that you help him and that he has a life to live. Life never seems easy, and it always comes to an end, so it is good to have some life before it ends. I'm glad he is getting that with your help and millie's company.

Sad update:
My big guy just passed about an hour ago.
I could tell this morning that he looked worse so I brought him
in. He had a real poopy backside so I gave him a warm bath and wrapped him
in towels. He was warm and comfy and slowly drifted away.
I knew he wasn't going to make it but I had to try.

RIP Chester

Back
Top Bottom