Rooster with very swollen face

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by InsaneBreeder, Nov 19, 2010.

1. InsaneBreeder

InsaneBreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2010
    Kurtistown, Hawaii
    I have a bantam cochin rooster who got into a fight with another rooster a few days ago. His face had some cuts and so I cleaned him up and began treating him with neosporin. The day before yesterday his face started to swell slightly, and now his face, comb, wattles, and ears are very puffy, whitish-yellow and oozing something. I stopped the neosporin because I didn't know if he was having some reaction to it, and so I am wondering how I should treat him. His behavior is normal, and he is eating, drinking, breathing easily, crowing, etc. Normally when he has gotten into fights in the past he has received minor injuries but they have never swelled up before or become infected. What should I do?

2. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    This is the one instance in which i would recommend antibiotics. I believe that injectable penicillin is the most appropriate.

As to the neosporin, it should be the kind without pain killers.

I would also start cleaning the wound with bacitracin or sterile saline.

3. InsaneBreeder

Feb 12, 2010
    Kurtistown, Hawaii
    Quote:Can I get injectable penicillin at a feedstore?

4. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    Quote:Can I get injectable penicillin at a feedstore?

I can at mine. I think a small bottle (or whatever it comes in) is about $10. I have asked about it, but i have never had to buy it.

5. InsaneBreeder

Feb 12, 2010
    Kurtistown, Hawaii
    Okay, I'll see if I can get some. Thanks for your help!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by