Rooster with weird head bobble thing

Pics
Did you feed him anything red? I generally give birds a week or two to show improvement, if they don't generally they won't and we cull.

It's hard to know how well he will recover. A lot depends on the extent of the injury - if he has nerve damage, he may never be quite right or decline further or he just may need more time.

I know I can’t rush this
It's hard to know how well he will recover. A lot depends on the extent of the injury - if he has nerve damage, he may never be quite right or decline further or he just may need more time.[/QUOTE
It's hard to know how well he will recover. A lot depends on the extent of the injury - if he has nerve damage, he may never be quite right or decline further or he just may need more time.
I know, and I’m trying not to sound impatient. But , for instance, I had to leave yesterday for an hour and a half. I was hauling butt to get home in case he needed me. How long do I do this ? Are there people out there that would like (and have the time) to take care of my sweet boy? I’m supposed to go out of town overnight in a few weeks, and I don’t know what to do with him. I’ve had these plans for months and can’t cancel. (Sorry...I know I’m whining)

@tjs22 That poop, to me is not normal. I would start treatment with Corid asap to see if that makes an improvement.

Stop any poultry vitamins that contain Thiamine (B1) while using the Corid.

Corid dosage for is 1 1/2 teaspoons Corid powder per gallon or 2 teaspoons of 9.6% Corid liquid per gallon of water.
Give for 5-7 days - make sure this is the ONLY water available during that time period. Mix a fresh batch at least once a day.
After you finish the treatment, then offer poultry vitamins and probiotics for a few days.

@Sinful chick :hugs

I do understand where you are coming from and your are not whining.

Sometimes, despite our best efforts, an injured or sick chicken makes no progress or they decline further. You do have to consider what is best for yourself (your mental well being, your commitments, etc) and what is best for him as well. If he is in pain and suffering, it's a kindness to let them go. It is not an easy decision at all, most of us have been there,. so take some time and weigh all your options.

I'm so very sorry.
@tjs22 That poop, to me is not normal. I would start treatment with Corid asap to see if that makes an improvement.

Stop any poultry vitamins that contain Thiamine (B1) while using the Corid.

Corid dosage for is 1 1/2 teaspoons Corid powder per gallon or 2 teaspoons of 9.6% Corid liquid per gallon of water.
Give for 5-7 days - make sure this is the ONLY water available during that time period. Mix a fresh batch at least once a day.
After you finish the treatment, then offer poultry vitamins and probiotics for a few days.

@Sinful chick :hugs

I do understand where you are coming from and your are not whining.

Sometimes, despite our best efforts, an injured or sick chicken makes no progress or they decline further. You do have to consider what is best for yourself (your mental well being, your commitments, etc) and what is best for him as well. If he is in pain and suffering, it's a kindness to let them go. It is not an easy decision at all, most of us have been there, so take some time and weigh all your options.

I'm so very sorry.
Alright. I think I have come to a decision. Now what do I do, or, shall I say, HOW DO I physically handle it. I'm by myself, and I really dont have anyone to help me. I hate this....

Oh, I am so, so, sorry. I hate this for you too:hugs:hugs:hugs:hugs

There are several ways to do this and it has been discussed a lot here on BYC. Each of us have found what "works" for us.

You want quick and least amount of pain for the chicken, plus something that you can do yourself if a vet is not an option.

Personally, I use cervical dislocation or the broomstick method. I am not trying to be graphic, but a hen is easier than a rooster, just because of the size of the chicken - you will need more strength. I will tell you, it can be unsettling the first time, there will be some flapping around, this is normal reflex reaction. It is also normal for a little bit of liquid/saliva to come from the beak after death, that is just coming from the crop.
The best video I've found that shows this method is the one that @aart found - it's in post#29 of this thread https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/broomstick-method-question.1187027/page-3#post-18746119

Now...there are plenty of other methods out there - some severe the jugular or cut the head off.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/euthanasia-information.1195265/

I cannot tell you how sorry I am for you. There is no easy way to do this. I usually talk to them, have a cry, then get a mindset of why this has to be done - sick/injured, declining health, they are in pain and suffering - then set to the business at hand.
I CANT WATCH . I JUST CANT! MAybe I can find SOMEONE who can detach themselves themselves. Im just too sensitive. I'm crying, just thinking about it. Maybe my ex-husband. Now that's a thought....(I'M not trying to be funny....wouldn't bother him a bit, I'm sure.)

Last night rooster had his first oral drench of corid, and water is medicated. Should I be doing a preventative dosage in the water for the main flock? He was waking around surely pooping in an area they will come in contact with eventually. Or are they immune? They are about 3 years old and free range allot. On a positive note the rooster was crowing and this morning. I haven't heard a crow since he first got here, at last day of March. Does corid really work that fast?? He's not very sleepy like he was yesterday. Pretty sure this little guy will pull through after all. He weights 2lbs, I'm assuming that's light for a banty even? And his crop was empty this morning. I learned that he had always done that head shake for the year the farm has had him.. Neurological? Concern?

Ekk one of my hens has water belly bad. Off to do research. These birds are killing me.. Lol

I attempted to drain her belly, while I did get a puddle, I decided that it would be more humane to just put her down knowing that her health would continue to deteriorate. :(

She was a 3 yr old ISA brown. She has given us many many eggs. <3

Back
Top Bottom