Rooster with weird head bobble thing

Rooster still is sleepy. I just saw him poop this and he seemed to be in pain and was straining to pass this. He was chirping like in pain when straining. Any ideas what this poo could indicate? Looks like there's some watery blood?

Attachments

• IMG_20180409_102539.jpg
    IMG_20180409_102539.jpg
    325.3 KB · Views: 8
Did you feed him anything red? I generally give birds a week or two to show improvement, if they don't generally they won't and we cull.

Did you feed him anything red? I generally give birds a week or two to show improvement, if they don't generally they won't and we cull.
Nothing red.. Just a bit of eggs and chicken feed. Yeah I'm considering my options, if he doesn't get better soon then we will most likely cull.

It's hard to know how well he will recover. A lot depends on the extent of the injury - if he has nerve damage, he may never be quite right or decline further or he just may need more time.

I know I can’t rush this
It's hard to know how well he will recover. A lot depends on the extent of the injury - if he has nerve damage, he may never be quite right or decline further or he just may need more time.[/QUOTE
It's hard to know how well he will recover. A lot depends on the extent of the injury - if he has nerve damage, he may never be quite right or decline further or he just may need more time.
I know, and I’m trying not to sound impatient. But , for instance, I had to leave yesterday for an hour and a half. I was hauling butt to get home in case he needed me. How long do I do this ? Are there people out there that would like (and have the time) to take care of my sweet boy? I’m supposed to go out of town overnight in a few weeks, and I don’t know what to do with him. I’ve had these plans for months and can’t cancel. (Sorry...I know I’m whining)

Rooster still is sleepy. I just saw him poop this and he seemed to be in pain and was straining to pass this. He was chirping like in pain when straining. Any ideas what this poo could indicate? Looks like there's some watery blood?
@tjs22 That poop, to me is not normal. I would start treatment with Corid asap to see if that makes an improvement.

Stop any poultry vitamins that contain Thiamine (B1) while using the Corid.

Corid dosage for is 1 1/2 teaspoons Corid powder per gallon or 2 teaspoons of 9.6% Corid liquid per gallon of water.
Give for 5-7 days - make sure this is the ONLY water available during that time period. Mix a fresh batch at least once a day.
After you finish the treatment, then offer poultry vitamins and probiotics for a few days.

I know I can’t rush this
I know, and I’m trying not to sound impatient. But , for instance, I had to leave yesterday for an hour and a half. I was hauling butt to get home in case he needed me. How long do I do this ? Are there people out there that would like (and have the time) to take care of my sweet boy? I’m supposed to go out of town overnight in a few weeks, and I don’t know what to do with him. I’ve had these plans for months and can’t cancel. (Sorry...I know I’m whining)
@Sinful chick :hugs

I do understand where you are coming from and your are not whining.

Sometimes, despite our best efforts, an injured or sick chicken makes no progress or they decline further. You do have to consider what is best for yourself (your mental well being, your commitments, etc) and what is best for him as well. If he is in pain and suffering, it's a kindness to let them go. It is not an easy decision at all, most of us have been there, so take some time and weigh all your options.

I'm so very sorry.

Skip to the end portion. This shows the head shaking thing he has been doing before the frost bite.

This shows his pooping issues. He's acting like he's constipated but poop doesn't look dry.

And pic shows a poo from today. I'll pick up some corrosion ASAP. Thank you so much for your advice.

Attachments

• IMG_20180410_091050.jpg
    IMG_20180410_091050.jpg
    515 KB · Views: 4
Skip to the end portion. This shows the head shaking thing he has been doing before the frost bite.

This shows his pooping issues. He's acting like he's constipated but poop doesn't look dry.

And pic shows a poo from today. I'll pick up some corrosion ASAP. Thank you so much for your advice.

*corrid not corrosion lol

*corrid not corrosion lol

LOL Corrosion :lol: I knew what you meant (you never know with this auto correct thingy)

Yes, I would definitely get him on the Corid to see if that helps. He does seem to be in pain when pooping.
I would give him a direct oral drench of Corid for 3days, plus giving him the Corid water to drink for 7 days. See this link for oral drench dosing https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/corid-oral-drench-instructions.1211991/

His comb is quite large and could be painful with the frostbite. It's hard to tell if the head shaking is due to that, the mites (are they gone/do you see any in his ears) or if he has some crop or even possibly neurological problems. Is the crop emptying completely overnight?

@tjs22 That poop, to me is not normal. I would start treatment with Corid asap to see if that makes an improvement.

Corid dosage for is 1 1/2 teaspoons Corid powder per gallon or 2 teaspoons of 9.6% Corid liquid per gallon of water.
Give for 5-7 days - make sure this is the ONLY water available during that time period. Mix a fresh batch at least once a day.
After you finish the treatment, then offer poultry vitamins and probiotics for a few days.

Sometimes, despite our best efforts, an injured or sick chicken makes no progress or they decline further. You do have to consider what is best for yourself (your mental well being, your commitments, etc) and what is best for him as well. If he is in pain and suffering, it's a kindness to let them go. It is not an easy decision at all, most of us have been there,. so take some time and weigh all your options.

I'm so very sorry.

Sometimes, despite our best efforts, an injured or sick chicken makes no progress or they decline further. You do have to consider what is best for yourself (your mental well being, your commitments, etc) and what is best for him as well. If he is in pain and suffering, it's a kindness to let them go. It is not an easy decision at all, most of us have been there, so take some time and weigh all your options.

I'm so very sorry.
Alright. I think I have come to a decision. Now what do I do, or, shall I say, HOW DO I physically handle it. I'm by myself, and I really dont have anyone to help me. I hate this....

Back
Top Bottom