Rooster with weird head bobble thing

Pics
Alright. I think I have come to a decision. Now what do I do, or, shall I say, HOW DO I physically handle it. I'm by myself, and I really dont have anyone to help me. I hate this....

Oh, I am so, so, sorry. I hate this for you too:hugs:hugs:hugs:hugs

There are several ways to do this and it has been discussed a lot here on BYC. Each of us have found what "works" for us.

You want quick and least amount of pain for the chicken, plus something that you can do yourself if a vet is not an option.

Personally, I use cervical dislocation or the broomstick method. I am not trying to be graphic, but a hen is easier than a rooster, just because of the size of the chicken - you will need more strength. I will tell you, it can be unsettling the first time, there will be some flapping around, this is normal reflex reaction. It is also normal for a little bit of liquid/saliva to come from the beak after death, that is just coming from the crop.
The best video I've found that shows this method is the one that @aart found - it's in post#29 of this thread https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/broomstick-method-question.1187027/page-3#post-18746119

Now...there are plenty of other methods out there - some severe the jugular or cut the head off.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/euthanasia-information.1195265/

I cannot tell you how sorry I am for you. There is no easy way to do this. I usually talk to them, have a cry, then get a mindset of why this has to be done - sick/injured, declining health, they are in pain and suffering - then set to the business at hand.

Oh, I am so, so, sorry. I hate this for you too:hugs:hugs:hugs:hugs

There are several ways to do this and it has been discussed a lot here on BYC. Each of us have found what "works" for us.

You want quick and least amount of pain for the chicken, plus something that you can do yourself if a vet is not an option.

Personally, I use cervical dislocation or the broomstick method. I am not trying to be graphic, but a hen is easier than a rooster, just because of the size of the chicken - you will need more strength. I will tell you, it can be unsettling the first time, there will be some flapping around, this is normal reflex reaction. It is also normal for a little bit of liquid/saliva to come from the beak after death, that is just coming from the crop.
The best video I've found that shows this method is the one that @aart found - it's in post#29 of this thread https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/broomstick-method-question.1187027/page-3#post-18746119

Now...there are plenty of other methods out there - some severe the jugular or cut the head off.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/euthanasia-information.1195265/

I cannot tell you how sorry I am for you. There is no easy way to do this. I usually talk to them, have a cry, then get a mindset of why this has to be done - sick/injured, declining health, they are in pain and suffering - then set to the business at hand.
I CANT WATCH . I JUST CANT! MAybe I can find SOMEONE who can detach themselves themselves. Im just too sensitive. I'm crying, just thinking about it. Maybe my ex-husband. Now that's a thought....(I'M not trying to be funny....wouldn't bother him a bit, I'm sure.)

I would give him a direct oral drench of Corid for 3days, plus giving him the Corid water to drink for 7 days. See this link for oral drench dosing https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/corid-oral-drench-instructions.1211991/
@tjs22 Here's a good article on how to do the oral drench:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...dications-to-all-poultry-and-waterfowl.73335/

@Sinful chick your situation sounds glaringly like this recent thread, nerve damage from a predator attack:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/help-chicken-with-sprained-or-broken-neck-help.1227111/
It took a good week or so in a sling and hand feeding, but the bird recovered from his injuries. Not sure this search link will work, should just be the OP posts which should shorten your reading time.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threadloom/search

As to the CD issue, it's really the easiest way to go,
and that video is the only one that shows it clearly,
not that any of the euthanasia techniques are 'easy',
unless you can get someone else to do it.

Last night rooster had his first oral drench of corid, and water is medicated. Should I be doing a preventative dosage in the water for the main flock? He was waking around surely pooping in an area they will come in contact with eventually. Or are they immune? They are about 3 years old and free range allot. On a positive note the rooster was crowing and this morning. I haven't heard a crow since he first got here, at last day of March. Does corid really work that fast?? He's not very sleepy like he was yesterday. Pretty sure this little guy will pull through after all. He weights 2lbs, I'm assuming that's light for a banty even? And his crop was empty this morning. I learned that he had always done that head shake for the year the farm has had him.. Neurological? Concern?

Ekk one of my hens has water belly bad. Off to do research. These birds are killing me.. Lol

I attempted to drain her belly, while I did get a puddle, I decided that it would be more humane to just put her down knowing that her health would continue to deteriorate. :(

She was a 3 yr old ISA brown. She has given us many many eggs. <3

Last night rooster had his first oral drench of corid, and water is medicated. Should I be doing a preventative dosage in the water for the main flock? He was waking around surely pooping in an area they will come in contact with eventually. Or are they immune? They are about 3 years old and free range allot. On a positive note the rooster was crowing and this morning. I haven't heard a crow since he first got here, at last day of March. Does corid really work that fast?? He's not very sleepy like he was yesterday. Pretty sure this little guy will pull through after all. He weights 2lbs, I'm assuming that's light for a banty even? And his crop was empty this morning. I learned that he had always done that head shake for the year the farm has had him.. Neurological? Concern?
Ekk one of my hens has water belly bad. Off to do research. These birds are killing me.. Lol
I attempted to drain her belly, while I did get a puddle, I decided that it would be more humane to just put her down knowing that her health would continue to deteriorate. :(
@tjs22 I'm glad that he is improving a bit.
As for dosing your flock - that would be up to you. If they free range a lot, then likely they have resistance to the strains of Coccidia where they roam.

A head shake could be genetic/developmental or neurological - if he has done this all his life, there's not a lot that can correct it.

I'm sorry to hear about your hen:hugs Sadly, fluid in the belly is all too common in production hens.

I CANT WATCH . I JUST CANT! MAybe I can find SOMEONE who can detach themselves themselves. Im just too sensitive. I'm crying, just thinking about it. Maybe my ex-husband. Now that's a thought....(I'M not trying to be funny....wouldn't bother him a bit, I'm sure.)
@Sinful chick I'm sorry. I know sometimes the videos are hard to watch and it can be difficult to detach your feelings, especially since you have been giving him such great care - they do find a place in our heart.
If you ex can do that for you, it would be good, or you may be able to talk with someone at your local animal shelter to see if any services are available.

Kudos for doing the deed.
Water belly is usually fatal.
Tried to nurse one along, she suffered, intestines were full of tumors.
Next one was when I learned the CD.

Back
Top Bottom