Rooster with weird neck position.

Looks like an angry red tumor to me.. possibly a cyst? Have you felt it?
I haven't really done much touching, but I'll take a look tomorrow!
I mean that should still be normal colored skin.. right?
Yes, I'd say so.
Sorry you both are facing this, whatever it is.. looks uncomfortable and sounds like it may be becoming that way also.
It does look uncomfortable, poor guy.
Hope he has all good days left! :fl
I hope so too!

Looks like an angry red tumor to me.. possibly a cyst? Have you felt it?

I mean that should still be normal colored skin.. right?
@Tookie yes, PND will be just fine. Direct dose is 1cc per 3 pounds of weight given orally. I'd direct dose him 3times a week.

I don't see an angry red tumor. I see skin that is behind the wattles. If you have a rooster that is mature and has long wattles, lift them up and take a look under there. I'd say you'd find something similar.

1685506088334.jpeg

Last edited:
@Tookie yes, PND will be just fine. Direct dose is 1cc per 3 pounds of weight given orally. I'd direct dose him 3times a week.
I'll have to do that. I am going away this Thursday for 10 days though, so he won't be able to get it during that time.
I don't see an angry red tumor. I see skin this is behind the wattles. If you have a rooster that is mature and has long wattles, lift them up and take a look under there. I'd say you'd find something similar.

View attachment 3523915
Ah...ok.

I see skin that is behind the wattles. If you have a rooster that is mature and has long wattles, lift them up and take a look under there. I'd say you'd find something similar.
It's been several years.. only juveniles around currently.

I had never seen it on any of my mature (Marans, Silkies, Ameraucana, Swedish Flower) roosters before and none have made it to 7+ years old (due to changing adventures, usually 3-4 years but many under 2).. but will pay attention in the future, and is why I asked if it was normal. I can see how bearded birds would make it obviously less likely to be seen or *maybe* even occur since (bearding gene inhibits wattle size)..

I did figure or at least wonder if the redness and balding could be an indicator of retained or extra heat and or friction caused by the wattles themselves. It didn't *seem* quite the same as what I'd expect to be seen in parasitic conditions (very localized in other words).. just for discussion/learning purposes. Thank you for clarifying.

Are you leaving on a trip?

You may have to take him in each night. If he's unable to roost, then prep a corner with extra bedding for him so he's comfy.

I'm very sorry he's not doing well. He's a handsome boy and has had a long life.

Are you leaving on a trip?
Yes, for 10 days. :(
You may have to take him in each night. If he's unable to roost, then prep a corner with extra bedding for him so he's comfy.
Since I'll be away, maybe I could just have him in a prefab I have. :idunno
I just wish I had time to build him a ramp into the coop, I have a raised coop so I've got a 2x4 outside the door to help them all get in.
I'm very sorry he's not doing well. He's a handsome boy and has had a long life.
Thank you, I guess his time is coming. 😞

Is anyone going to be home that would take over for you while you're away?

If your run is secure for night time, you may be able to leave him with his hens, but if he's not roosting, likely he'll need a routine bum cleaning every other day or so.

Back
Top Bottom