Rooster

Melfento

In the Brooder
Oct 17, 2021
Hi! Needing advice for my rooster. He is a year and a half old. Today we noticed he wasn't himself. He is not holding his head high and isn't crowing. He is eating and drinking. But I found him in a nest box laying down this evening. When he heard others come in coop he got up and jumped on roost. So he's not completely lethargic but not his usual energy. He moves very slow compared to his usual. We've dealt with sour crop and impaction with other chickens in the past but his crop feels ok. Any clues ?

Welcome To BYC

I would check him over to make sure his crop is emptying. Look him over for bruising/injury - could he have gotten into a fight or attacked by something?
Could he have eaten moldy feed/compost?
Is he molting?

If you have photos of him and his poop that may be helpful.

Welcome To BYC

I would check him over to make sure his crop is emptying. Look him over for bruising/injury - could he have gotten into a fight or attacked by something?
Could he have eaten moldy feed/compost?
Is he molting?

If you have photos of him and his poop that may be helpful.
Thank you and good morning! His crop seems to be emptying but not completely when we checked this morning. He is up and about some today but still not himself. We did give him some coconut oil yesterday to help in case it was a possible impaction. We have checked him thoroughly, no injuries etc. His poop is runny. We did have a lot of rain this last week and he was drinking out of puddles inside the run. But no moldy feed etc.

When he was in the nesting box, was he scratching around and making his rooster chirruping sounds? My guy does this to tell his favorite hen he's found a good spot to lay an egg. Could he have been doing that when you found him in the nesting box? But it does sound like there is a bit more going on with him - wanting to alert the hens to the nesting box shouldn't make him seem less active otherwise. Hoping he feels better soon!

When he was in the nesting box, was he scratching around and making his rooster chirruping sounds? My guy does this to tell his favorite hen he's found a good spot to lay an egg. Could he have been doing that when you found him in the nesting box? But it does sound like there is a bit more going on with him - wanting to alert the hens to the nesting box shouldn't make him seem less active otherwise. Hoping he feels better soon!
thank you! No, he was just laying down. Almost like he wanted to be alone and safe.

Sounds like a lot of signs indicating coccidiosis. Id personally go ahead and treat with Corid with no other vitamins. Liquid Corid 9.6 can be purchased at tractor supply. Id isolate him from everyone else and put 2.5mL of Corid in a quart waterer. Id change it out every other day and have it well off the ground so his feet cant get in it. Id also use a syringe and oral drench 0.1mL per 2.2 lbs of bird, of Corid directly in his mouth twice a day for 3 days. After a week Id cut the Corid down to 1.25mL of Corid per quart. After 2 weeks he should be 100% if it is coccidiosis. Im not saying that is definitely the cause but he has the signs, another sign is blood in his stool. Id definitely seperate him asap, and also make sure the rest of the flocks waterer is well off the ground and treat them with 5mL of Corid per gallon of water for a week changed out every other day, then 2.5mL per gallon the second week, just to be sure there is not an out break in your flock. Thats my personal opinion on what Id do in a situation like this! But Def seperate him and look for signs of blood in poop, they can go from 100% to dead in a week from coccidiosis

Last edited:
Thank you and good morning! His crop seems to be emptying but not completely when we checked this morning. He is up and about some today but still not himself. We did give him some coconut oil yesterday to help in case it was a possible impaction. We have checked him thoroughly, no injuries etc. His poop is runny. We did have a lot of rain this last week and he was drinking out of puddles inside the run. But no moldy feed etc.
Crop not emptying completely - I would address that. This article can help you determine which treatment is needed. Starting with Coconut oil is good, but I would also consider treating for worms, Coccidiosis and sour crop at the same time.
Yes - you can do all 3. Corid for Coccidiosis, miconazole or clotrimazole twice a day for sour crop and safeguard (.25ml per pound of weight orally once a day for 5 days) for worms.

If you have vet that can check him out, that's always best.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Crop not emptying completely - I would address that. This article can help you determine which treatment is needed. Starting with Coconut oil is good, but I would also consider treating for worms, Coccidiosis and sour crop at the same time.
Yes - you can do all 3. Corid for Coccidiosis, miconazole or clotrimazole twice a day for sour crop and safeguard (.25ml per pound of weight orally once a day for 5 days) for worms.

If you have vet that can check him out, that's always best.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/
ok great thank you so much!!!!

Back
Top Bottom