rooster

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by lincolnsilkies, Mar 7, 2012.

1. lincolnsilkies

lincolnsilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2011
    Lincoln Nebraska
    I have a roo that is about 10 months old he is always charging 3 of my hens and pulling out their feathers he is nice to the rest of them but really picks on 2 of them the most has them scared most of the time when he comes around. The good thing about him he is very good with his hens and any babies that are around is there something i can do to prevent him from pick on my other girls ? Thanks oh and sometimes he gets so mean with 2 of them he will drag them around when i catch him doing i swoop him up or kick him in his butt ( not hard just to let him know not to do that)

2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    He's in his horny teenager phase. Him pulling feathers and being "mean" (chicken love isn't the slightest bit romantic) are probably his clumsy attempts at mating those girls. And if they don't squat and pitch a fit when he grabs on, the result is pulled feathers. The only way to make him stop is to separate him or turn him into soup. Since you've asked for advice, I'm assuming you want to keep him. If you're pullets are about the same age, they're just inexperienced too. Your rooster should calm with age (most do, but some are just plain awful all the time). So, separate him from the girls until everyone is more mature or wait him out. Good luck!

3. lincolnsilkies

lincolnsilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2011
    Lincoln Nebraska
    Thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by