Roosters are Sweethearts (romance meets reality - take 2)

Matilda Belle

Crowing
May 16, 2018
SE Minnesota
My Coop
My Coop
This happened between a fence yesterday. They aren't even in the same pen together. It started out as a yelling match between the hens and quickly got out of hand between the boys. :barnie

Attachments

• EA0BDBD4-99CF-466C-93C9-88D368B9BA52.jpeg
    EA0BDBD4-99CF-466C-93C9-88D368B9BA52.jpeg
    500.4 KB · Views: 14
  • 5FC07C22-B819-423C-B975-B01BEA0177A4.jpeg
    5FC07C22-B819-423C-B975-B01BEA0177A4.jpeg
    903.1 KB · Views: 13
  • 02B15958-5041-4528-8A6D-42B6FC374133.jpeg
    02B15958-5041-4528-8A6D-42B6FC374133.jpeg
    459.4 KB · Views: 13
They're not even together in the same pen? Wow.
Love does dumb things, doesn't it? Hope they're okay, I'm guessing you've made a larger barrier between them...like a concrete wall!
Good luck on any future altercations and hoping they heal well!

They're not even together in the same pen? Wow.
Love does dumb things, doesn't it? Hope they're okay, I'm guessing you've made a larger barrier between them...like a concrete wall!
Good luck on any future altercations and hoping they heal well!

The white one is going to crockpot heaven. The partridge is okay. I washed him up and put some neosporin on him. Poor guy :(

Was it because of his attitude or his injuries?
Lol, Like the term "crockpot heaven"...very usable phrase! Neosporin works for chickens too? Good to know!

The white one was definitely the aggressor. This isn’t the first time I’ve seen him misbehave. Last fall he tried to kill my partridge once before. I really thought he cleaned up his act. I can’t fault him for doing his job but I can’t tolerate this sort of behavior.

And he went after your favorite...not a good choice! I try not to have favorites, but it's hard, some just have a great personality or look about them. (I have a little Americauna chick who is for sure my favorite.)
That's interesting, was the partridge the only one that stood out? I mean, to the other rooster, was he different in coloring or size then the other roosters in the pen, why he was singled out? Sorry, I'm sort of new to chicken world, about a year in with older birds, and have 22 three-week chicks, so behavior is interesting to me!

I don't know what to do either with my roosters. My little B.B. Red is the sweetest thing but he can't take care of 23 hens by himself. My Crele mix,Rusty, can't seem to stop beating him or my Silver Duckwing mix up. My Red Pyle mix in the house needs to go into the coop too but he don't know what to do with the hens. { He is the one that is a little special in the head} I need to give away two, but I can't choose which two. They are all so sweet to me and I raised the red pyle from an hour old and he follows me around. The B.B. Red {Red}
1222181605-00.jpg
comes to me when I call him and lets me pick him up. He is pretty good with the hens, but he can't keep all of them happy. Rusty is so pretty and
0322191726-00.jpg
is very good with the hens and rounds them up and makes them go to bed when it's time and watches out for hawks and such. He still needs help but he won't leave the other three roosters alone unless they are free ranging and I can't let them do that all day. I only let them out about an hour before bed. Pepper is very sweet,
0311191721-01.jpg
good with the hens but prefers the white hens. He wouldn't mess with Red or Rusty if they wouldn't mess with him, but when Took is out there, he chases him. He watches out for hawks and such, but stays out until it's almost to late to see and don't make the hens come in either. Took is well,
1226181538-00.jpg
special cause his mother pecked his head when he was an hour old an now he can't think like a chicken very well. He wouldn't mess with no one but he don't know what to do with a hen or hide when a hawk comes by. I really want them all to get along and I can't bear to eat any of them. What should I do?

Back
Top Bottom