Roosters behavior?

KM2H

Songster
May 24, 2021
Hello lovely people. I just bought 5 baby chicks 3 weeks old at the moment. They are suspected to be a mixture of orpington and ameraucana. Growing up I only remember my mom raising baby chicks once but not much more than that to add any experience. We, of course, don't know the sex but I got them for almost nothing and even if they all end up being roosters I can at least learn something from the experience. This morning I took them out to "cage range" and noticed that they were running around, flapping their wings, normal stuff but then there was like a little confrontation rooster style. My question to you all with more experience is: could this be rooster behavior or just chicks playing? My 91 years old grandma think they were just playing, she asked me is I have ever seen hens fighting, which I never have, yet 😬. I will try to attach a little clip of the action. Thank you all for your time.

Hello lovely people. I just bought 5 baby chicks 3 weeks old at the moment. They are suspected to be a mixture of orpington and ameraucana. Growing up I only remember my mom raising baby chicks once but not much more than that to add any experience. We, of course, don't know the sex but I got them for almost nothing and even if they all end up being roosters I can at least learn something from the experience. This morning I took them out to "cage range" and noticed that they were running around, flapping their wings, normal stuff but then there was like a little confrontation rooster style. My question to you all with more experience is: could this be rooster behavior or just chicks playing? My 91 years old grandma think they were just playing, she asked me is I have ever seen hens fighting, which I never have, yet 😬. I will try to attach a little clip of the action. Thank you all for your time.

Last edited:
Hello :) to share a video you will have to upload it to YouTube and then post the link in this thread. Unfortunately we cannot upload videos directly to BYC.

Hello :) to share a video you will have to upload it to YouTube and then post the link in this thread. Unfortunately we cannot upload videos directly to BYC.
OK, I thought I just had 🤣. Clearly I am clueless 🙃

Sorry guys, I can't seem to be able to upload my little clip and I have no idea how to take my post down. I accidentally pressed the green button before I was ready 🙃

It is quite possible that they are just sorting out the pecking order as hens do this too at the early stages. They also could be a bit more exited because they are outside (for the first time?).
I got them on Saturday and I did this just for a few minutes on Sunday and today for a bit longer. I have no idea if the previous owner would let them be out like this. They definitely look happy when they are outside ☺

Back
Top Bottom