Roosters can be pretty cool

kaywould

Songster
5 Years
Nov 17, 2014
South Carolina
i had one male chick from a hatch a month ago and had sold the rest. Kept him in the brooder pen to teach some newly hatched chicks how to eat and drink.
The pen is outside with a heat lamp but it got down to 32 last night. Went out this morning and the little one month old rooster had all these 3-day old chicks (13 of them) underneath him.
A7FCFF94-2BA4-4AEA-8B68-71C6FC172CED.jpeg

Aw, what a sweatheart! What breed is your rooster? He's a keeper, I'd say. I've never heard of a 1mo old chick sheltering that many chicks before. I didn't even thick they could cover that many
He is a pretty cool guy :cool:

Cream Legbar. He’s going to end up being awesome or aggressive. He’s pretty protective of those little chicks but hopefully he will mellow out some. Definitely keeping him to see how he turns out.
If you want him to be respectful of you, now is the time to start teaching him. I wouldn't handle or baby him. I'd start teaching him to respect my space, and when he's old enough to be out and about, I'd make sure he learned to keep his distance. Just walk where you want to walk, and if he's in your way, make him move. Don't back down when he challenges you, look him in the eye and don't ever give him a reason to think he's dominant over you.

A few years ago, I had a broody with 4-5 day old chicks, and apparently she needed a little "mom time". She left the coop to go dust bathe, they were at the pop door cheeping their little heads off, and the rooster went over and babysat them while she was doing her thing. Stood there with them until she came back. It's fun to watch a good rooster with his flock.

Back
Top Bottom