Roosters crow at night???

I feel super appropriate naming my rooster Orpheus as he starts singing around 4am, in the dark. Luckily my bedroom is on the opposite side of the house. We also may have designed things so it throws the sound outward, towards some neighbors who may or may not constantly set off fireworks and have dogs that bark constantly.
wink.png

What kind of rooster do you have in the picture in you avatar? He is beautiful!

This is my first posting. I love my roo Ceasar, but he is crowing at 3am in the morning. I don't know what to do.? Unfortunately I do have an outside light that cannot be turned off. He is used to it, but all of a sudden since we had a blackout, he is crowing way before the sun is up. I honestly don't think there are any critters that are disturbing him, but don't know for sure. Just don't want to peeve the neighbors. I'm already the biatch of the neighborhood. Any suggestions?

In my experience, no there isn't anything you can do to make him stop, if you want to keep him. I had some that crowed every single morning at 4am and 6am, just like clockwork. We ended up having to cull them. (It was a totally unrelated reason why we culled.) Unfortunately they will crow at all hours, sun up or down, noise heard or silence, angry or happy. They will always crow when they please and there's nothing you can do about it because that's just a roos way!

Our two bantam roos initially began crowing at about 6:30 AM. -only made a few pitiful little sounds. After a few weeks, they started earlier and earlier. Finally, when they both developed good strong crows, they were routine - 4:15 - 4:30 AM! -and they crowed for about 15 minutes straight. I agree with the poster above, roosters will crow when they please. My little guys would walk around the yard and crow from time to time at any given hour of the day.

Thank you for the replies. Good news. I think I have a solution for the time being. I put him in the garage. It is fully enclosed. He still crows, but it is not as loud. Sometimes I have to be hit over the head before I can come up with a solution. LOL. Still love Caesar. He is so handsome. What can I say!?!

If you stick a snug collar on him, it'll quite down his crows and may stop him. I think they sell something on mypetchicken.com. I made a collar out of Velcro laying around the house and my rooster stopped or has unnoticeable quite crows now. It's suppose to stop the rooster from expanding his throat which produces the loud crow.

When you put it on him just make sure its snug but not chocking cause he still has to eat and breathe too

I put him in the garage. It is fully enclosed. He still crows, but it is not as loud.
smile.png
We used to bring our two little guys in every morning at 4:00 AM and let them perch in our laundry room! They would crow 'til their hearts were content while the hubby and I drank our morning coffee. -made us laugh, but no neighbors were disturbed. (We are early birds, so our arrangements were no big deal for us.) Good luck with your roo! -hope your arrangement continues to work out well!

My husband heard mine at 2 am once. I usually don't hear them until around 6. I did hear them around 4 am one time. But that was my fault. I fell asleep on the couch. When I woke at 4 am I went out to check on them and they must have heard me. My neighbors must love me. Nobody has complained except the little boy across the street. I talked to his mother and she said she never hears them.

Thank you for your well wishes. I put him in the garage over night and let him out during the day time. So far no complaints. I don't do well with neighbors, ha, ha. I have a little over six acres, but the houses are too close together. I may try the collar as the one post suggested. I live in Florida and I don't want Caesar in the garage during the summer. I'll try the collar. You guys are so great with suggestions. Caesar was a mercy buying. I had no reason to buy him, except to rescue him. He was in a crate at the feed store being picked on by two hens. The hens were horrible to him, so I rescued him. I don't raise babies, so he doesn't "visit" the ladies. He does keep an eye on them though. What a Romeo =). Thank you all for the help=)

Back
Top Bottom