Roosters foot after injury

Hensofthehill

Songster
Oct 20, 2021
Northern Minnesota, USA
Hello everyone,

This past winter ( We live in Northern Minnesota) I had an issue with my rooster Lavender Orpington. He developed a bumble foot, was limping badly and I decided to help him by removing it.

Unfortunately he developed gangrene and lost part of his toe. Few nails. I was able to keep him in my heated basement and he is somewhat ok now, BUT that foot is almost always warmer than other foot and its not getting callus over like it should. My question to you all is if he would ever heal and get callus on that foot?

He is a great rooster, gentle, gentleman with my ladies, good protector. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_2156.jpeg
    IMG_2156.jpeg
    613.5 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_2155.jpeg
    IMG_2155.jpeg
    553.8 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_1900.jpeg
    IMG_1900.jpeg
    522.2 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_1894.jpeg
    IMG_1894.jpeg
    516.7 KB · Views: 6
Hello everyone,

This past winter ( We live in Northern Minnesota) I had an issue with my rooster Lavender Orpington. He developed a bumble foot, was limping badly and I decided to help him by removing it.

Unfortunately he developed gangrene and lost part of his toe. Few nails. I was able to keep him in my heated basement and he is somewhat ok now, BUT that foot is almost always warmer than other foot and its not getting callus over like it should. My question to you all is if he would ever heal and get callus on that foot?

He is a great rooster, gentle, gentleman with my ladies, good protector. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
your rooster is missing the scutes off his feet, these will likely never grow back. It’s like the chickens nails, if they are torn out by the root, they can’t grow back ever. His feet look like they have healed well despite all this, and he should be fine. He might grow callouses on the underside of his toe eventually, but you should always keep an eye out to make sure he’s still healthy and isn’t wearing through them. The foot scutes exist to protect their feet when they scrape them against dirt and rocks after all.

Back
Top Bottom