roosters gang raping hens

kim10261

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 20, 2014
Last April I bought 6 baby chicks from TSC, as it turned out 3 were girls and 3 were boys,I know way to many boys to girls,but these were my 1st chickens and I got rather attached to all of them,as you can imagine my girls are paying the price....so I bought 15 female chicks in October,they are now 3 months old I have the 15 separated from the 6, we are doing the get used to us ...look but no touch, still to young for the guys,but this summer they will be old enough. The problem is if 1 of the roosters MAKES 1 of the hens submit the other 2 are standing over to get on her as soon as the other has finished,all the while she is screaming,when I am outside I make them stop. My question are they going to be equally as aggressive while mating the other females or will they chill out with more for all 3? I am very concerned they are going to hurt my girls please help me to help them.

Last April I bought 6 baby chicks from TSC, as it turned out 3 were girls and 3 were boys,I know way to many boys to girls,but these were my 1st chickens and I got rather attached to all of them,as you can imagine my girls are paying the price....so I bought 15 female chicks in October,they are now 3 months old I have the 15 separated from the 6, we are doing the get used to us ...look but no touch, still to young for the guys,but this summer they will be old enough. The problem is if 1 of the roosters MAKES 1 of the hens submit the other 2 are standing over to get on her as soon as the other has finished,all the while she is screaming,when I am outside I make them stop. My question are they going to be equally as aggressive while mating the other females or will they chill out with more for all 3? I am very concerned they are going to hurt my girls please help me to help them.

They should settle down once there are more hens in the mix, you did the right thing to get more hens.
smile.png

You need to separate the males from the all the females at this point and house them in a bachelor situation until such time that all the females are together and you can then introduce the males back into the mix. They may learn better manners once they have more females available and have the added advantage of having had a few more months of time to mature. At the moment they are in the throws of hormonal surges- which is only making the male/female ration even more of a problem for your poor girls.

I agree with everyone's posts. It is not a happy or healthy situation for your girls to be in, so either rehome or relocate the roosters for now.

Once all of the pullets are old enough to cope with the roosters, and are well integrated together, you can reassess. But to leave the girls in a situation where they are frightened and accosted daily is probably a situation to be avoided if possible.

Good luck with it.

- Krista

I appreciate all of your advice they are my babies and I only want what is best and healthy for them.They will be separated until my little ones are with the other girls and a few months older, The roosters I have are BO and the 3 hens are RSL,the 15 babies are BO, These are my new girls from Ideal Poultry Thanks everyone

Last edited:

Oh, they are so cute! I have a BO Rooster who is about 14 months old and he is fantastic. He was pretty gung-ho with his mating technique (or lack, thereof!) at first too, but if it's any consolation they do learn better over time.

Your chicks look sort of like some I have. I crossed my BO Roo over my RIR hens, and the chicks are presently 13 weeks old. They look just like yours, except slightly redder in colour. The BO's are lovely birds, and whilst mine have not been quite as good layers as the RIR's, they are excellent broody hens and really dote on their chicks.

I wish you all the best with your flock. I'm sure that once everyone is a little older they will reintegrate well for you.

- Krista

I appreciate all of your advice they are my babies and I only want what is best and healthy for them.They will be separated until my little ones are with the other girls and a few months older, The roosters I have are BO and the 3 hens are RSL,the 15 babies are BO, These are my new girls from Ideal Poultry Thanks everyone

Awww -- they are too cute! Nice looking group of up and comers you have there.

thanks for the encouragements, right now I am trying to figure out how I am going to separate them, the 3 month olds have only been permanently in the run, sectioned off for 2 days, they have seen them many times when I would let the big ones out to free range I would place the babies in their big run do you think I could put the 3 hens in with the 3 months old and they would be ok and lay eggs in the babies coop,nere is a pic of my mean 'ol boys

Back
Top Bottom