Roosters ganging up on hens

Sjisty

Scribe of Brahmalot
12 Years
May 18, 2009
Brooksville
Hi all -

I know you have seen pictures of my beautiful boys as they have been growing up - I can't resist an opportunity to post them! I love them both but now have a problem. They have just in the last few weeks came into manhood and are ganging up on my girls. They work together to chase them down and take turns with them. Will they outgrow this? I hate the thought of parting with either one but I don't want them to kill any of my girls! I have one dark brahma hen who I have been keeping separate from them, but the pace up and down the run trying to get in to get her. Any suggestions?

31698_p1000837.jpg
31698_p1000835.jpg

Your roos are beautiful.
love.gif
However if there are more than one of them for each 10 to 12 hens, then someone needs to go; for the sake of your hens.
Overmated hens are stressed hens. Stressed hens = less laying, more health issues.

Last edited:
I've had the same issue. Yes, they will double up on a hen. I have two separate pens of chooks that I let freerange together. If one of the roosters decides to mate with one of his hens, the rooster from the other pen will come running and knock him off and have a turn himself. I'm having to learn to look away. It will not kill your girls. It looks pretty brutal but they're not gonna die from it. The more girls you have, the better though, especially if you want to keep both boys. I would suggest no less than 10 hens for both of them, 12 is better.

Last edited:
You've seen the issue--competition. That is why it will always be this way till you either separate them each with their own girls or sell/give away one of the boys, or keep one penned separate from the rest of the flock. Some milder breeds will share women, but most don't. I had two BR roosters with 30 hens. The older brother refused to share with the younger brother, even with plenty of girls to go around.

Back
Top Bottom