roosters in the nest box

The only time I find my roosters in a nest box is if I have just put in fresh nesting material. The "hollow out" the nest and then make a crooning noise similar to the one that means they found food. I always figured this one meant, "Look at this wonderful nest I made for you, my ladies!" As soon as they start checking it out, he only stays there a few minutes longer (making sure he gets the credit) then he hops out and puffs out his chest proudly. It is hilarious!!! I love them!!!
WOW! I have never heard of this behavior. Really funny!

The one on the right is a hen,
roosters teach the new ladies where they are suppose to lay there eggs, he's saying come on in I wanna make chicks........
my EE rooster does this all the time, he will even sit in there with my new pullets until they get it.....I was baffled at first too, and couldn't figure out what the heck he was doing.......LOL until I set up shop one afternoon to watch. He kept calling my new POL pullets over to investigate the box, cooing and yaking at them, until they settled in then he would move to the next nest box and call another girl over and stay with her awhile, making the same noises and such until he felt satisfied then he would perch on the nest box and wait...low and behold an hour later I had 2 eggs...... I love my EE roo, he is a good watcher and a good protector, he even watches the sky for hawks.......Kim
This is him calling the girls in the dog kennel where they like to lay sometimes.....

Dude, this is a rooster...

PS get ready for eggs if she isn't already laying she soon will be......her comb looks nice and reddened up.

I had a roo who like to "show" the hens where to lay.... "If I was a hen I would lay eggs here." maybe just like wild birds the male wants to think he found the nest, so he becomes the hero.

that is too funny LOL
gig.gif

Back
Top Bottom